Reload this Page >

Five days in Victoria

Search

Five days in Victoria

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Susan

Five days in Victoria

We plan to do the following but would like additional suggestions. Empress hotel<BR>for tea, visit Craigdarroch Castle and go to the Buchart Gardens. Thanks for your help.<BR> Susan

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:50 PM
gary

Five days is way too much for Victoria unless you want a real good rest. As i said to you in the above post two days is plenty. fortunately Vancouver Island offers far more thatn Victoria. Number one is the West Coast or Long Beach between Tofino and Ucluet. The upper Island with Cmpbell River and Courtney are great areas for Salmon Fishing or golfing and the Gulf Islands are a nice choice for a peaceful day or two.

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:03 PM
April

Don't miss the Royal BC Museum right by the Empress. <BR><BR>You don't mention if you like to walk, are disabled, with children, with a car or what time of year you're visiting, so it's a little hard to answer. <BR><BR>If you have transportation, drive through Beacon Hill Park, then along the waterfront and up to the top of Mt. Tolmie. If it's late summer, wander through the Lieutenant Governor's grounds in Rockland. If you like shopping, you could stop in Oak Bay village, or Sidney, or at Mattick's Farm. All have places to eat. <BR><BR>Downtown walk the usual tourist route from the Inner Harbour up Government Street to Chinatown. On the way back take Wharf St., or cut down to the water by the faded whale mural for a more scenic, less crowded (until you get to the causeway) route. The walk around to Laurel Point is also pleasant and fun for watching boat and float plane activity. You can take a harbour ferry tour too if you want.<BR><BR>Visit the gardens at Hatley Park (& castle). <BR><BR>Take a walk in the woods at Goldstream and drive up the Malahat. And, as Gary said, with five days you may want to go further afield.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Susan

Have decided to stay at the most 4 days in Victoria. Have made reservations at the Empress for tea and Sunday brunch. Presently can walk about a mile to a mile and half. A year ago I was run over by a SUV that then landed on me. So some activities I am unable to do.<BR>Whatever we do I know that we will have fun.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:51 PM
rand

I moved here temporarily in in 1982. I think more than 2 days is necessary. Get out of the four block tourist zone and you will be hooked for life.

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Susan

Just wanted to say "Thank you." As of now I think we have more places that sound like "must do", than time permits. Presently trying to decide what to do and when and how to get there as we will not be renting a car.

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:57 PM
April

I'm amazed you can walk after being run over and landed on by an SUV. There is public transportation. For instance, it makes no sense to me to pay all that money for a 'tour' to Butchart's Gardens when you can take a city bus from Douglas St. for $2.50 each way (two-zone fare, bus #75). I'm sure a bus would go near Craigdarroch Castle too. You could check into bus passes at places like Shopper's Drug Mart on Douglas St. or Monk's on Fort St. I don't know what's available. Otherwise correct change is needed.<BR><BR>If you get tired of walking downtown you might find a white Kabuki cab going by that you could hop on.<BR><BR>About The Empress - I have never found their food that great. The tea is fine, though overpriced, but if brunch was cheaper at, say, Ocean Pointe, I think I'd go there. You can hop a little harbour ferry to it from the lower causeway in front of the Empress. On the way to Oak Bay, the White Heather tea room serves very nice lunches. I've never had a bad meal there and they are highly rated for cleanliness.<BR><BR>Without a car in Victoria the one tour I would take, if there is one, would include the waterfront drive. Try to fit in the museum on a day when the weather isn't the best.