First ever trip to Canada (Vancouver)

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Mark

First ever trip to Canada (Vancouver)

Hi folks,

I have always wanted to go to Canada and have just booked a bargain BA offer to Vancouver in March. Any personal recommendations of things to do (both in Vancouver and within realistic travellng distance) would be very helpful. I am from the UK, into the great outdoors, but also want to see some of the city. Particularly interested in mountain scenery, whale watching etc - are these all available in early March?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 05:34 AM
rae

Mark

Vancouver has EVERYTHING you want for the best holidy of your life. Grouse Mountain is on the door step, as is Stanley Park. Travel a bit further noth to Whistler for spectacular scenery/walking/rafting etc etc

My advice? Get yourself a really good city guide (FODORs?) and plan each day - there is so much to do you'll have to return again and again (i've been 3 times - most recently in Oct) and I'll go again for sure.

Best bits - Vancouver Aquarium, sea plane trip to Victoria on Vancouver Island, Whistler, roller balding round stanley park, Gas Town (eat in the Old Spaghetti House - excellent value), Sun Yat Sen gardens (very peaceful) and shopping on Robson St!! Almost forgot - you MUST go to Granville Island - really interesting way to spend a few hours.

Have a great time.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Lori

Vancouver is a beautiful city (I'm a little biased seeing it is home). Whale watching is available in March. I think generally you need to go to the west coast of Vancouver island (Tofino). Vancouver Island is a 1 1/2 hour ferry trip from Vancouver.
Do the Grouse Grind. You climb up the mountain (generally takes an hour or so) and can take the gondola down. At the top the scenery is nice and there are two bears in a "sanctuary" that are interesting to see. The two bears are about 6 months old and were abandoned by their moms (I think one is a grizzly and one is a black bear). They have tried to make the habitat as natural as possible and will be expanding it as they get older (sadly can't release them in the wild - they wouldn't survive).
Make sure you do Whistler, it is beautiful (an hour or so north of Vancouver). The drive up there is great - stop and see Shannon Falls).
There is lots to do and see. Have fun.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 07:50 PM
SS

In the city: stanley park, vancouver aquarium, granville island market (in the city), gastown, shopping on robson street downtown, capilino suspension bridge. Whistler (a ski area but in april will provide lots of good hiking and mountain scenery)is a 2 hour drive up the coast. Good shopping and touristly "ski village" atmosphere there. Whale watching would be available on vancouver island, from downtown vancouver a hour or so drive to the ferry terminal, 1.5 hour crossing to the island ($50 for car and two people one way), then a couple hour drive to Tofino or Uclulet which are on the west side of the island. The Grouse grind is fun if you are relatively fit - imagine climbing "natural" rock stairs for 60-90 min depending on fitness. Reward is the view and the gondola ride down ($5). You can cheat and take the gondola both ways, of course for more $$, about $25 i think.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 10:55 PM
K.

I would really recommend Grouse Mountain, but only on a clear day. SPECTACULAR views of the city.

As for whale watching, you can go around Tofino/Ucluelet on Van. Island, but the water is often rough. There are at least 3-4 whale watching companies operating out of Victoria, B.C. most leaving directly from the Inner Harbour. I think Sidney, B.C. (near Van/Vic ferry, Victoria Airport) offers whale watching as well.

The only time I've been whale watching is off Port McNeill, northern Vancouver Island. It's about a 6-7 hour drive from Victoria, but the scenery is fantastic and there's probably a better chance of seeing whales than around Victoria.

You should also check out Stanley Park, the Aquarium and the seawall, Queen Elizabeth Park and the Bloedel Convervatory in Vancouver. Butchart Gardens in Victoria is enjoyable, as is Beacon Hill Park, also in Victoria.

March is a nice time in Victoria/Vancouver....fewer tourist crowds, off season rates, etc but it will probably rain a lot.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Mark

Hi,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Slight change of plan now that I have a bit more know how - not going to bother with Seattle, want to spend some time exploring Vancouver and surrounds. Then thinking of heading off to Lake Louise, or Banff to see the rockies. Seems like Canada has lots of powder snow, so you don't really have 'winter walking' like we do here in Scotland. As I don't ski or snowboard I was thinking of trying snowshoeing - anybody done this!? There also seems to be a caving trip going from Canmore, Alberta and a couple of other things to try in that area - ice canyon walk etc.

These are the web sites, I found -

http://www.banffview.com/cavetours/013thsialbum.htm­­l

www.canadianrockies.net/wildcavetours

winter activities:
http://www.canadianrockies.net/tours/winter.­­html

snowshoeing, etc:
http://www.canadiannatureguides.com/subpages/winter.htm

If anybody has done any of the above, I would love to know what you thought. Some of the prices are quite high, but apparently you can hire snow shoes with trail guide maps for about $15 a day and just go on your own??

Thanks again!

Mark.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 10:37 AM
ordlady

Vancouver is a fabulous city and one of my favorites.However,I do want to warn everyone of one place that we found out(by way of actual experience) to be very careful of or avoid entirely.It is the suspension bridge(Capastriano sp?).My husband and I have traveled all over the world and have always exercised caution when out of the country. We took our kids there several years ago(he grew up in the area) for a visit.We parked our car and locked it-making sure that everything was out, either with us or under seat and out of sight.There are signs all over in the lot about thieves,they have security guards in the parking lot,etc. We went inside to restaurant for a bite to eat(husband came out once to get a map).However,when we returned to car,we found that it had been broken into and everything was gone(it had been a day trip but we still had things in the car).It turned out that we learned from the mounted police that the area is heavily used by thieves looking for money for drugs(as Canada has changed thinking on the methadone allotment,etc.)I know think that some people in a RV that was parked next to us were the ones who robbed us.Easy to do without being detected? Interesting-they picked the lock on the rental car and then were kind to relock it for us!
I should preface that the city has wonderful restaurants,people and skyline. Stanley Park is definitely a jewel-rent rollerblades,bikes or just walk around the perimeter of the park,Wonderful!!!!!!!Be sure and go over to the north side of Vancouver and go to the Salmon House restaurant for some unbelievable seafood and views.I would also see if the ROYAL HUDSON steam engine is running for the beautiful trip up the coast for the day to Squamish.Enjoy the Canadian dollar-right now it is going for 1.62 against the 1.00 American dollar.Great deals! Enjoy-

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 11:50 AM
gary

It's the Capilano Suspension Bridge and some people consider it a rip off even without the thieves - but I still like taking out of town guests there.

What Vancouver lacks in violent crime is more than made up in property crime. Car theft and car burglary is about the highest in Canada and I'm quite sure that the Capilano Bridge is far from the worst area. In fact Stanley Park and Gastown are quite bad. Especially if you have an out of Province plate and/or a rental car you should ensure that everything is stashed in the trunk and out of view because the crooks know you'll probably not return to testify. So be warned and take common sence precautions.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Mark

Thanks again for the replies. Looking forward to my first ever trip to Canada. If anybody wants any advice or info on Edinburgh and/or Scotland please ask!

Mark.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Jayne

1. Deep Cove Kayaking (20 minutes from Downtown Vancouver (North Vancouver). Co. usually runs from April 1st, however, when the weather has been good has set up shop on weekends starting in March - You would need to phone. Probably very cold - but lovely scenery.. Feels like you are in semi-wilderness eventhough you are just outside a city. Plus the Raven pub up the road should warm you up if get too cold.
http://www.deepcovekayak.com/frames.php

2. Stay clear of Capilano Suspension Bridge.. Instead go free to Lynn Canyon Suspension bridge (North Vancouver)
http://www.findfamilyfun.com/lynncanyon.htm
http://www.dnv.org/ecology/park_map/choose_map.html

There are some really nice trails as well. (This park is not a mountain park like Mount Seymour, Grouse or Cypress, so you don't need your snowshoes.)

3. 20 minutes drive westward from Deep Cove (still on North Shore) you can visit Horseshoe Bay (West Vancouver). Here you can rent a boat and again get a different feel seeing the sea lions and snow on the mountains - etc. (warning - it will be bloody cold!!)

http://www.sewellsmarina.com/index2.html

4. Here's a nice priced b&b in West Vancouver if you want to go the b&b route..
http://www.bedandbreakfastvancouverbc.com/