Family Vacation

Nov 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Family Vacation

I would like to surprise my wife and two children (9,12) and plan a two week getaway somewhere nice.. they deserve this so much!!
I am thinking Europe but not sure where. I would like some feedback on anyone who knows a great kid friendly trip that they will always remember.
Nov 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Hi Deereguy.

Can you provide some additional criteria for us?

You say you're thinking Europe, but posted on the Canada board - does that mean you're living in Canada? Or did you just pick a board randomly?

What is your general budget? How much do you want to spend on the airfare versus "doing"? etc.?

What interests do your kids have? You and your wife? Are you outdoors types? Animal lovers? History buffs? etc.?

When do you want to go? This winter? Next summer? Next fall?

What is it about Europe that has you thinking it? The history? The "romance"? etc.?
Nov 30th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply.. I am new to this site and figured I needed to start in "canada" because I live there!!
I will gladly provide additional information as my question was pretty vague.
general budget - $5,000 before airfare. Thinking about using my airmiles.
Interests include outdoors for sure, history ( wife and I) and general site seeing.
Timing would be summer/09.
I like europe as all my family are from England and I have fond memories of going over duing my teenage years. I have heard so much about Scotland & Ireland.
Nov 30th, 2008, 02:50 PM

I'd highly recommend going to a bookstore or library for a copy of "Europe Through the Back Door" by Rick Steves. It's not a guide book per se, it's a handbook for European travel beginners to give them an overview of what they need to know in order to plan a trip.

Have fun planning!
~Liz
Nov 30th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the added info. From your comments, I'd suggest doing an England/Scotland trip, but then that's a trip I'm dying to take myself.

I know you said you wanted to surprise your wife and kids, but this is a great opportunity to show your kids how much fun it is to plan a trip (and they're at a great age for it also). You could make it a secret between the three of you and still surprise your wife with the trip.

If you start by having each kid research two countries, and then have "secret" meetings with them to discuss the options, you can narrow down your destination pretty quickly.