first time traveller

Search

first time traveller

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time traveller

i am planning a trip to europe and having a some troubles getting things started wondering if anyone has got any suggestions or tips on where to even begin? much appriciated cheers!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM

ok, you're about to get, well, slammed... for not prepping up, not knowing why you're going, not using a good title.... well, track record shows that to be the case here.

Honestly, they'll have a point. But you have to start somewhere and as much as people here think this should be a place to refine a trip, rather than define one, I don't feel like agreeing at the moment.

So, some things to think (in my opinion) about when you first start thinking about a trip. Europe or otherwise:

1) How much do you have to spend and what sort of comfort level do you need? Income and outgo will determine most of your answers to the rest of the questions.

2) How much time do you have? If you're spending a week, you can't go as many places as a month. Likewise, you can't spend as much per night during a month as you could in a week unless you're loaded.

3) Do you want to run around and see a bunch of famous things that you always wanted to see that are spread across Europe OR do you want to hang out and relax and get the feel for a one or two places? Nothing wrong with either answer, but you can't do both really.

4) How you getting around and can you afford it? Rental car, train, guilded limosine?

So, maybe toss a few more details and then people will have a tone of questions. Give them - how long, what budget, what expectations for sight seeing, what level of hotel/hostel, etc.

And most importantly - why Europe? as opposed to Tahiti beaches, African safaris, Mexico, etc. You probably saw something that made you decide, but Europe is a very diverse place and we don't know what that something you saw was. Castles, canals, cafes? Knowing that would help a lot.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:48 AM

First I would get a good guide book such as Frommers, Fodors,Rick Steves, Lonely Planet, then decide where you want to go, how much time you will have, budget, etc. Then come back here and search the topics you are interested in. Finally, post specific questions and Fodorites will respond quickly. Another idea is to get a copy of a tour company's itineraries to give you an idea of what's out there and what's of interest to you. We planned our very first independent trip to Europe doing just that. Trafalgar, Globus, and many others might be helpful in making your plans.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM

Another good thing to think about: where are you coming from and how much do you want to spend on airfare? That can help define destinations and seasons for traveling.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM

Decide the basics first:
When?
How long?
How much?

That may dtermine where.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Decide the basics first:
When?
How long?
How much?&lt;/I&quot;

Plus where if anywhere have you always dreamed of visiting . . . .

That may determine where.</i>
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry - didn't turn off the <i>italics</i>

This is better:

&quot;<i>Decide the basics first:
When?
How long?
How much?</i>&quot;

Plus where if anywhere have you always dreamed of visiting . . . .

That may determine where.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM

Also, if you don't know any foreign languages, you might feel more comfortable visiting a country where English is spoken, in which case England or Scotland might be a good first choice.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rick Steves &quot;Europe thru the Backdoor&quot; is an excellent beginners guidebook. It gives you lots of how-to's, not just where-to's.

I would start with the public library and bring home a BIG pile of guidebooks. I think that's an easier way to get started, than using the internet (which is easily overwhelming).