Family holiday - Calgary to Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading through the fascinating and informative forum on your beatiful part of the world which we are lucky to be visiting this summer.
This is a 'holiday of lifetime' experience for us - a family of 4 (one boy, 11; one girl 6) and we have a month to spend in BC (last week July to last week August).

We fly into Calgary and leave from Vancouver and have booked a camper van for the duration.

My rough plan is to head up to Banff, Jasper (maybe after popping across to Drumheller) and the lakes etc (say a week or so), then head across to the coast over the next week or so and then have a week or just over on Vancouver Island, finally back to Vancouver for a few days before flying home.

We are quite outdoorsay types and go kayaking, cycling etc here in the UK so hope to do likewise whilst in Canada. Whistler seems a maybe a bit touristy (sorry any Whistlers reading this!) but the zip line through the trees looks to good to miss?

If there is anybody who has the time to reply to this and can suggest a possible route which doesn't mean driving all the time and keeps the children happy I would be very grateful for their knowledge and feedback.

Thankyou.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:40 PM

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/discovery/
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sam - didn't realise there were so many options with the ferries - a bit of homework to do here!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Driving routes:

Once you come down from Jasper, I think you will have to go through Golden and then head west through Revelstoke (where my sister lives - wave hi for me!), and along the Number 1 highway (the highway which runs all the way through Canada) to Kamloops.

There are some great stopping points b/w Revelstoke and Kamloops, and the scenery is really great.

From Kamloops there are several ways to get down to the Coast. You can take the #5 (Coquihalla Highway - fastest), the #1 (Fraser Canyon Highway), which has some great towns to stop in...windy road, much slower), or you can go through Kelowna, Penticton, Peachland, etc....on the #3 highway?

Once you get to Vancouver, I would recommend a stop off in Whistler for at least a day trip. It is 1 1/2 hours north of Vancouver, along the Sea to Sky highway...which has some great views, and some really crazy turns.

I have heard the zip line in Whistler is amazing, and is something that shouldn't be missed - it is on my top 5 to do this summer.

You can also do lots of hiking, boating, etc., in Whistler.

I love Whistler..yes it is crowded and touristy, but it is also very charming....you can easily walk through the village and head straight up the gondala and see the beautiful coastal mountain range...well worth it I think.

Hope this helps a little.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:43 AM

We did a similar trip twice with our 2 teenage daughters (they really loved it). First time we went from Jasper to Mount Robson & Wells Grey Park then over to Vancouver and Vancouver Island and second time from Jasper back to Lake Louise through Golden and Rogers Pass and down to Ossoyoos. We had a great time in Kelowna where we hired a speed boat with ski's, big tyre etc. Lots of bear and elk sightings in the rockies. Our girls really loved the kayaking, whale watching and the shopping in Vancouver!
Have a great time, we can't wait to go back
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Camelbak, I will have a look at these routes on the map, and I think we will have to give the zip wire a go - I think my youngest (6) can ride in tandem with one ous.
Sharone - the wildlife is one the things we are looking forward to although we are a little aprehensive about the bears!

Thanks for taking the time to give us some ideas.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Hi Sharone,
We are taking our 2 teenage daughters to Banff in June. From there we will be driving to Victoria.
Had they ever kayaked before?
And yes, I think that the zip-lines are a must! It look's a bit expensive but hey, it's their inheritance that we are spending!
Wendy
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM

I have to agree with camelbak that Whistler is a must see. You can bike the designated bike trails (Valley Trail) all around Whistler and see gorgeous places. My family, every summer, bikes the trail to Rainbow park and takes a swim at the lake. These trails are also good for rollerblading and walking. Other things you can do is some hiking to spectacular vistas, there are hikes for all levels of fitness.
If you make it to Vancouver island you must go to Tofino. It is a magical place of beaches and forests. It is a great place to unwind and try surfing or at least boogie boarding.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Hi Wendy,
they had never done anything like this type of holiday before. (They are the sort who worry about breaking a nail!) We did kayaking, horse riding, white water rafting, mountain biking. You name it and they were up for it, we were amazed. They still talk about them now as being the best holidays we have ever had. Will have to go back soon
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:29 AM

If you decide to stay overnight in Whistler, you have a very good chance of seeing some black bears.

Amazingly, they wander through the village. They come down the mountain in search of grub (though the garbage cans are all bear proof).

We wandered out of a restaurant near the gondola (and zip line) and saw a mamma bear about 25 feet in front of us...turned around and two baby bears 25 feet behind us.

Uh oh.....

It was awesome - once we got out of the way.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Hi, I would really stress not to miss the royal tyrell museum, in Drumheller, it's amazing although in the middle of no-where. Also check out the tourism bc website. many campgrounds take reservations and I would highly recommend them as this is the busiest time for camping. On the way to Vancouver you will most likely pass through Salmon Arm. There is a good campsite near there called Scotch creek. Do you plan to stay in Vancouver or camp just outside. Golden Ears campground in Maple Ridge is about a 45-60min drive from Vancouver or you can take the west coast express train into the city from Pitt Meadows or Coquitlam. Just outside Whistler there is a campground called Nairn Falls. It's only about 15 min drive from the village. I would recommend taking the gondola to the top of Whistler and hiking through the meadows. The zip line tour is fun. If the weather is nice a day at lost lake beach is relaxing. The valley trails have great cycling. I would also take the ferry over to Vancouver Island and camp at Pacific Rim National park. Do the zodiac tour up the Clayquot sound to hotsprings cove. It was fantastic. My kids loved it. I've got 3 kids, live in White Rock B.C. and we've camped all over the U.S. and Canada. Have fun. The Okanagan valley is also very nice but remember to have reservations because at that time everything will be packed solid.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help and advice. Weasel, we did wonder about Drumheller and the Royal Tyrell - the children also like the idea of being inside the worlds biggest dinosaur.
The more feedback I get the more it seems that Whistler, or at least nearby is a must so we will figure this into our route. Tofino is also a definite - this will be nearly the last port of call before heading for Vancouver and home so a few days relaxing there is a must. The hotsprings sound really good.

Do you think we nned to make reservations everywhere or just in the main tourist hotspots?

Thanks again for all the ideas - a lot of homework to do to make this a succesful holiday!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Tofino, Banff and Jasper are certainly touristy hotspots, and I'd also have a reservation in Vancouver too.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Goo ideas all! Our family is particularly fond of the Okanagan region in BC- Oyama, Kelowna, etc. I would go from Baff to Jasper then over and Down as well to capture the Lake Louise experinces. We love the hot springs and cave and so often take day treks out there. Kelowna is fruit city with a hugh array of water sports. The small akes around and those up on the Shushwap often hav lots of boating choices. Enjoy th beaches, fruit from the trees, and schery. SilverStar mountain in Vernon runs their lifts in summer to take up mountain bikes and hikers. Lots of fun. Take the coquahala (É spelling) over to te coast quck and beautifyl trip. If you are spending time in Whistler and Vancouver, take the ferry to Nanaoim and explroe the gulf and othr local islands by bike, cayak, or car. If you want to see the truely untamed ocean, go to tofina and make sure you have a cup of hot chocolate or tea at the wickinish inn- itès lovely.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:24 PM

We did a similar driving trip with our kids in the opposite direction a few years ago. They were 10 and 13. We all loved it!

Highlights included:

Vancouver (1 night)--
riding bikes in Stanley Park
the aquarium

Whistler (4 nights) --
-incredible kayak trip called the "tunnel of love" or something like that, from one lake down a river and to another lake
-horseback riding in gorgeous Pemberton Valley
-great golfing
-they loved mini-golfing by themselves in the village
-gondola ride up to the snow (saw a bear from the gondola)
-bike riding / picnicking around Lost Lake.

Emerald Lake-- (yoho national park)
(Emerald Lake Lodge is a GORGEOUS spot!)
-canoeing in the lake, which is the most amazing color you'll ever see
-driving the Icefields Parkway north of Lake Louise
-hiking around Emeral Lake
-horseback riding around Emerald Lake

This year we're planning a visit to Tofino, Victoria, and Orcas Island, as well as Seattle.

happy planning!
dina