Banff or Vancouver

Apr 27th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Banff or Vancouver

Hello,

My wife and I are trying to decide on a trip this summer (running out of time). But we can't decide between Vancouver and Banff. We've been to Banff/Lake Louis/Jasper before and absolutely loved it, and the thought of going somewhere familiar is comforting. However, we heard some good things about Vancouver. I know they are two different kinds of trips, but to anyone who has been to both, which one do you prefer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan
Apr 27th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Couldn't you do both? It's tough to choose between them (and I'm speaking as someone who has lived in Vancouver for nineteen years).

You're right: it's two different kinds of trips. It really depends what you're looking for. Are you thinking of renting a car, for example? How long will your holiday be?
Apr 27th, 2005, 02:32 PM

In general I prefer natural wonders over man-made buildings. So my vote is for the Banff area, although I try to avoid Banff town itself.

How about going to someplace like Mt. Engadine Lodge and get out on the trails?
Or stay at the Icefields Chalet and ride the ice coach onto the glacier, if you have not already done so.

Or go to Jasper and visit the sights near there?

Have you taken any of the hikes in Yoho and Kooteney?

There is a heck of a lot more to the area than Lake Louise, as beautiful as it is.
Apr 27th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Here's another question? Where are you coming from? I live in Calgary and love the Rockies however, I love visiting Vancouver. There's something so unique with it's setting on the water and it is always so lush in comparison with Alberta. If you spend lots of time near a coast or other water and do not have access to mountains, then perhaps another visit to our province is just what you need!

Also, two completely different destinations - city vs. small town. Vancouver is a diverse city with lots to do and see. Do you feel like spending your vacation with nature? You could always do both and visit Whister while in Vancouver - it's under two hours away.

I guess my vote is for Vancouver simply because of my preference to try and discover new places rather than revisit old ones! Have fun deciding - you can't go wrong with either!
Apr 27th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Hello Dan,

As everyone else has said already, it would help to have more context.

In the absence of more information, and if you have enough time to do this combination, I would suggest Vancouver plus Vancouver Island. That would give you a cosmopolitan city in a beautiful setting on the one hand and a lovely, relaxing wilderness area on the other hand. Well, Vancouver Island is not all wilderness. What I was thinking of specifically was the area around Tofino / Ucluelet on the west coast of the island.

Here's a photo of Tofino to whet your appetite:

http://www.island.net/~tofino/

If you visit the west coast this time, you'll find out which area you prefer, and perhaps it'll give you a basis for deciding on a future vacation.

Hope that helps.
Apr 28th, 2005, 05:26 AM
mtjt

As you have noted, they are two very different types of destinations. Vancouver is a very lovely city, beatiful setting - waterfront with mountain backdrop. But, it's still a large city and personally, although I enjoy city attractions, I find that 2 or 3 days usually covers the highlights, then I'm looking for some nature. You could easily combine Vancouver with Vancouver Island - Victoria is a nice, picturesque much smaller city, and the west coast of Vancouver island features the spectacular Pacific Rim National Park and the very nature oriented tourist town of Tofino. That area is worth several days exploration.