Experiences on The Cat

Search

Experiences on The Cat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experiences on The Cat

My wife and I are planning on taking the Cat from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth and were wondering what to expect and/or how to prepare for the trip (in terms of motion sickness).

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

I just read this at catferry.com ...

"A Word About "Sea-Legs"
Some people are more sensitive to motion than others, and while The CAT’s T-Foil stabilization system provides a comfortable, smooth ride in most conditions—there may be occasions when some may have trouble getting their “Sea-Legs.” Experts advise: do not skip eating, but avoid spicy or greasy foods; sip water or ginger ale; stand and look at a fixed point on the horizon; avoid reading; avoid alcohol and coffee. Over-the-counter medicines for motion sickness can be effective if taken before or at the start of the trip (for your convenience, such medicine is available on board and in the terminal). If you need assistance, ask a cabin attendant."

Sounds like it *should* be s decent ride.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:10 PM
ltt

i've heard that if you were every likely to get sea sick, you'll get it on this boat. so, if you are worried, adhere to the suggestions above and maybe take some medicine before hand.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM

it really depends on the weather. When we took the Cat, the water was quite calm, and the ride was very smooth. I suffer from a minor amount of motion sickness, and it didn't bother me at all.

I've also taken the high speed cat ferry from New London to Orient Point Long Island several times, and it seems to me that these cats ride pretty high in the water, so fi there are waves they pitch pretty high. This may be less true on the Yarmouth ferry as this is a MUCH larger boat.

I've actually had some luck with the motion sickness bands that you wear on your wrists. If you are quite snesitive, dramamine might help. Or you can get a prescription for something stronger from your Doctor, although those can cause drowsiness.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 07:20 AM
LJ

My husband and I have taken this ferry and others frequently -Newfoundland to Nova Scotia (both routes), NB to Digby, NS, France to England, Italy to Greece and more. The CAT is VERY convenient, but means a certain dose of mild sea-sickness for my husband, every time. I never get sick on anything sea-worthy (brought up on NL fishing boats), but we took the CAT on a rough day in mid-July this past summer and even I felt queasy.

On that memorable trip, I would say more than half of the other passengers were in states of illness ranging from green around the gills to really wretched (an amubulance met us on docking for one poor soul). I don't know why it is-something to do with catamarand (sp?) instability? but we will drive around next time if it looks rough before we get on...
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Just returned from our trip and I thought I'd report on the experience.

We had great weather most every day *except* the overnight period before taking The Cat from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth.

It was windy, and we had 10-12 foot waves (according to a crew member). I also learned that the captain doesn't use the T-Foil stabilizers until they get 15-foot waves because it slows him down too much.

It was a bumpy ride (due to the wind). We knew it was going to be rough when the crew recommended Dramamine and to avoid sitting in the front of the vessel as we got on the ferry.

I didn't notice anyone getting really sick, though. I did okay taking Dramamine after I boarded.

Overall, our (first) trip to Nova Scotia / PEI was a great experience!