Evening meal in Toronto

Search

Evening meal in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening meal in Toronto

Hi Every one, We are looking for a Saturday night out in Toronto (19th July) for a family of 8 with 5 adults and 3 teenagers(13/14/16)can any one suggest a place .Have looked at some Jazz places but they all seem to be over 18 only. can anyone help
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Try www.toronto.com - there's a restaurant part of it but it isn't responding at the moment.

There's a block of restaurants on King Street from John to Peter - you might find something on it you like. That's just north of the Rogers Centre.

There's a lot of restaurants in Little Italy on College Street.

There's a lot of restaurants around the Market on Wellington and Church Streets.

Maybe that site has suggestion for a meal with jazz.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:52 AM

Try "The Pickle Barrell" on Younge. Excellent food, good prices and a great modern atmosphere.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:33 AM

Hi, I believe the Beaches Jazz Festival is on at that time. It's an interesting neighborhood and there would be many free concerts in the parks and generally in many of the restaurants along Queen St. as well.

Try a search for 'toronto jazz festival' to find out more.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Alice - you should recommend your own restaurant.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM

christin,
where are you staying (or living)? That would make a difference. What kind of food do you like? And how expensive?

If that's the week of the Beaches Jazz Festival, restaurants might be too crowded for a group of 8.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Alleycatz at Yonge and Eglinton? Don't know if its over 18 only. They have good food.
http://alleycatz.sites.toronto.com/index.html
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

hi every one
the jazz festival is on in June so no luck there.
we are staying on Carlton Street,we are open to all kinds of food ,would like some entertainment if possible.We would like to book in advance as we are only their for 3 days. Christine
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:32 AM

The Boiler House restaurant at the Distillery District has jazz Thursday through Saturday and also a jazz brunch on Sunday, I think. Here's the website:

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/frameset.html

The Distillery District is a fun place full of shops and galleries, including the beautiful Sandra Ainsley Glass Gallery which shouldn't be missed. There may also be a festival of some sort there that weekend. The restaurant might know that.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM

there are two jazz festivals... the June dates are for the Toronto Jazz Festival... The beachesjazz festival starts july 24th... sorry you missed it, its a great outdoor family oriented event...
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Toronto Jazz festival site (http://www.tojazz.com/Pages/Toronto_...val_pgM134.asp) says to check back after April 21 for this year.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Hi, the Beaches Jazz Festival's web site says it's from July 18-20 this summer.

http://www.beachesjazz.com/
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM

Hi, oops sorry - it starts July 18th but runs longer than the 20th. It's their 20 year anniversary.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM

To the person who recommended the Pickle Barrel for "excellent food, good prices, and a great modern atmosphere"...People visiting from out of town usually are looking for something special, meaning outstanding or at the very least, unique. A large chain restaurant with a large chain restaurant decor, is ridiculously poor advice. As for "modern" atmosphere? Has an architect remade the place? I don't mind the food there (though it's certainly not memorable) but the last time I was in a Pickle Barrel the decor was as non-descript as every other large chain restaurant on the planet.

Goddesstogo's recommendation is a good one. As is Sally Canuck's.

www.martiniboys.com is a good website for finding stylish and fun places that might win you some cool-credibility with the teens.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM

We just had a fine casual but hip dinner at Terronis on Adelaide. Would be suitable for your group.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for your input. give me somthing to think about
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
BAK

So I ask my patner who took one of our clients to lunch at Terroni, and who has a 13 year old, "would you take three teenagers to Teronni"?' and her replay was no.

And when I mentioned the half-dozen adults, she said NO! Too noisy, you can't hear yourself think, and she had to shout over lunch, and can't imagine it better at dinner.

She'd take the kids to Hard Rock CAfe, or, if the adults needed to be sort of catered to, too, take everyone to Mr. Greenjeans in the Eaton Centre.

But she likes kids, and doesn't want to bore them at dinner.

She also has good things to say about the Hot House, at Church and Front. So do I.

BAK

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM

Actually, BAK, I'm glad you were the one to say that. I'm not a fan of Teronni. We had one of those annoying staff experiences at the one on Queen and will never go back there, and the one on Victoria was so noisy, we could barely talk to each other.

I like the Hot House too.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:52 AM

I think teenagers are about ready to upgrade their dining experiences beyond Greenjeans or Hard Rock... Toronto is too much about good ethnic choice and better dining than to ruin the Adult experience with overpriced burgers and novelty restaurants... think entertainment district, bistro, Yorkville, Queen Street, and especially outdoor... Toronto on a warm summer night crys for outdoor or view friendly dining...
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 05:28 AM

get a big table outside at le select bistro... or even allen's on the danforth

i agree with gary

just because you are a teenager doesn't mean you need to eat at a place with records on the wall... and mr. greenjeans / pickle barrel?

really?

there is lots better than that in TO.

i must also admit my bias for terroni - great thin crust pizza's and in my opinion the point of the place is the bustling atmosphere and the noise = part of the charm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -