Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

ESTA and re-entry to USA after 4 days in Canada

Mar 24th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

We both have current ESTA's - are Australian citizens (eligible for Visa waiver). We will enter the USA in late May and leave in early July - no problems there. We will however be going to Canada for 4 days - taking our rental car (Alamo allows excursions into Canada) on a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria BC, staying 3 nights, and back again to Edmonds in Washington State.

I'm assuming that we should have no problems - but thought I'd better make sure that there are not any 'wrinkles' that anyone is aware of - or problems that they've encountered in similar circumstances.
Mar 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM

Hi obione, we will have exactly this situation as well. I don't think there will be an issue but it's a good question?
Mar 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Just found this on ESTA website..

While in the U.S., you may go to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and re-enter the U.S. using the I-94W you were issued when you first arrived in the U.S., although the time you spend there is included in the 90 days allotted for your visit.

Should be OK.
Mar 27th, 2011, 07:11 AM

Just curious, what's an "ESTA"?
Mar 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM

it is a program non-us citizens must pay to sign into on internet to enter the united states by "pre-registering" with the immigration department. This is valid for countries in the visa-waiver program.

It costs $14 and the entry is good for 2 years, at which point you will pay another $14 or more.. etc. etc.

I imagine visa-waiver program countries may start creating a reciprocal fee for Americans at some point. Would only seem logical.
Mar 30th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Are you planning to make reservations for those ferry trips?