Edmonton & Calgary sights to see help!

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmonton & Calgary sights to see help!

Hello
Any great tips on sights to see for my very short visit to Edmonton and Calgary and even a few scenic sights on route would be great. Older couple (45 and 60 )driving from Toronto area to Edmonton, then Calgary, and driving back. Leaving May 15th (at high noon) for 3 day drive (or so I hear) to Edmonton first (hopefully arrive May 18/19th)would like to see a few nice sights. People have told me I must spend 1 full day at the Edmonton Mall, though I don't understand their shopping fever idea. No time for museums this trip, but love natural sights, short train daytrip if you know of one. I'm game for a mile hike but unfortunately hubby better not attempt to strenuous stuff. Will only be in Edmonton from 18/19th and must depart Edmonton early morning on May 22nd to get to Calgary for a business meeting that day(hubby will have to entertain himself that day haha). May 23rd to 25th I must fill in with some sights as heading out on the 26th for the drive back to Toronto. 3 days to see Calgary is rough. I wanted to fly so we'd have more time seeing Edmonton and Calgary between my business meeting, but oh no , Hubby wants to drive as he wants to see more trees and sky I guess HAHA. So little time unfortunately to see anything I'm sure, but if anyone can help with a busy crammed pack few days of sights WE simply MUST see, I'd appreciate a few tips.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Had you thought of taking in the Canadian Rockies (Jasper, Icefields Parkway, Lake Louise, Banff)?

My website has info on the Rockies and Calgary:

http://tinyurl.com/2mrjty

Aside from reading the Itineraries section, to get an idea of what you can see in that time, I recommend that you also read the Tips section, and most especially the What To Pack page:

http://tinyurl.com/npoh2

Mountain weather (and even Calgary's weather) is very quirky. Although the likelihood of snow in Calgary will have passed, it is still not outside the bounds of possibility (and that is even more true of the mountains than it is of Calgary).

Hope that helps.

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:43 AM
ltt

re edmonton
i hate shopping so a day at wem would be torture. but, if interested, walking around and just seeing it (waterpark, amusement park, etc) would be ok for an hour or two. there are quite a few restaurants if you wanted to go for lunch.
we have a very nice river valley that is nice for walking. mutart conservatory if you are into plants/flowers. hawrelack park is nice for a walk. if you want to venture east on hwy 16 about 1/2 hour from edmonton (or stop on your way in)you could spend a bit of time at elk island national park.
not much to see between edmonton and calgary. the is a sports museum at the information booth just outside of red deer but unfortunatly it is on the northbound side so you'd have to turn around. if you wanted to stop for lunch, sylvan lake is slightly off the highway but about 1/2 way. the golf course has good food or there are restaurants along the lake.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Please tell me you are not driving all the way to Alberta from Toronto without seeing Jasper or Banff?

I've done the drive a few times and it will be a full 3 days.... 15-17 hr days if I remember correctly. I would recommend driving home through the States for some different scenery and cheaper gas too. I grew up in Edmonton, but it's not a city I would recommend for sights. The Mall is a one day stop. Calgary has a few things to see but most of them are outside the city in the world famous National Parks....."natural sights" as you mentioned.

I'm not sure of your timing....arrive May 18/19 in Edmonton...why stay till the 22nd when you need to be in Calgary?

If I had May 18-26th in Alberta it would look like this:

18th visit Drumheller and Tyrell museum enroute to Calgary if time permits

19th Arrive Calgary

20th Banff

21st Banff (only 1.5 hrs from Calgary)

22nd arrive for Calgary meeting.

23rd drive to Edmonton, see Mall

24-25th Jasper

26th Jasper->Icefields Parkway->Rocky Mt. House ->Red Deer

27th drive home

If you have to drive, and fit a meeting in during the middle of this trip then I think you will need another day......neither of which should be spent in a city imho.

Hope that helps you somewhat.....as well as Judy's suggestions for an itinerary.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Not many trees between Toronto and Edmonton/Calgary - lots of sky though!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 03:03 PM

For Calgary, Heritage Park and the Zoo are always on my list of places to take visitors.

Heritage Park (http://heritagepark.ca/home.htm) - easy to spend an entire day there. It opens May 19th, so you're just in time for it.

Calgary Zoo (http://www.calgaryzoo.org/) - again easy to spend an entire day

And since you mentioned a train ride, check out the Alberta Prairie Railway (http://www.absteamtrain.com/). I haven't done it myself, but those I know who did only have positive comments.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I know it's been about 8 years since I've done the drive from Toronto to Calgary, but it's more like 30-35 hours than the 15-17 hours as noted by another poster.

When I drove the Trans Canada back in '99, I went Toronto to Sault. St. Marie, Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay and Thunder Bay to Winnipeg, which were each between 7 and 8 hour drives. Winnipeg to Calgary is then about 10-12 hours.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM

If I read her post correctly, Tobie was referring to driving 15 - 17 hours per day over three days, not 15 - 17 hours for the entire journey.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM

You're right Judy. My apologies Tobie.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:16 PM

No problem......it was only 3 days but seemed even longer.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:37 PM

West Edmonton Mall? Just a big mall.
After a certain growth point, size does not really improve a mall; just more space for the same stuff.

At least this one has a hotel and a swimming pool.

But how can 6 women's specialty shops improve in 5? Or 11 shoe shops improve on 10?

If you want to see the best of Edmonton, drive about 220 miles west to the Jasper suburb.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:07 AM

I totally agree with Tobies' agenda. He's covering everything that would make a visit to Calgary/Edmonton area a real treat. (I've been to the Mall and I have to say it's not for me.)

Drumheller is great and shouldn't be missed.

You need to take into account Lake Superior.....the drive around that lake really extends your driving time. I would not drive that distance for a one week visit........you will be too tired to enjoy yourself by the time you get there. It's easily 15 to 17 hour a day drives to make it in 3 days. I can't imagine doing that and then enjoying my visit.

I'd change the plan and fly to I could be rested and enjoy my visit time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:20 PM

I find it interesting that suzycujackson asked for sights to see in Edmonton and Calgary and the majority of responses are suggestions outside of these cities, notably Jasper/Banff.

Although I'm a great fan of the mountains, if somebody wants suggestions on what to see in a certain city, that's what I'll try to give them. Both Edmonton and Calgary have interesting stuff to do inside the city limits. Also, we don't know that suzycujackson hasn't been there/done that with Banff and/or Jasper.

Of course it'd be helpful if suzycujackson responded back with some feedback on the suggestions...
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Things to see in Calgary:
Calgary Zoo - baby giraffe 'Richard' born late last year (I think)
Calgary Tower
Fort Calgary
Devonian Gardens
Prince's Island Park
Heritage Park
Fish Creek Park
Canada Olympic Park
Stephen Avenue Mall (pedestrian street)
Eau Claire Market
Olympic Plaza for a picnic lunch

Edmonton:
River Valley
Ferry Ride (if it's running)
not sure what else, I don't live there

West Ed Mall really isn't worth it, but then again I've been there many times. If you want to shop, go else where. If you want to see the sheer size and attractions... okay

But for me, in Alberta, the Rockies and Drumheller are a must!!!!!