East Coast Trail Newfoundland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone hiked any sections of the East Coast Trail?
I'm looking for any advice on which sections might be the most scenic and the best hiking.
We'll be staying at Bay Bulls and want to do a few hikes. Also is any of the trail complete north of St John's?
Or are there other scenic trails up around Pouch Cove?
Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Hi,

I've hiked pretty much the whole trail at varying times, pretty much every trail has great scenery. One decision you have to make is your health and ability to walk long distances, some of the most rewarding trails require a good bit of stamina and time. Since you are in Bay Bulls, one of the best and most popular hikes is the "bread and cheese" hike which then takes you out to the "spout" - everyone knows this hike and will be able to point you to the trailhead in bay bulls. You can also take the tinker's point hike which is less challenging but nice, and I would highly recommend the hike to LaManche Village, and perhaps the LaManche to Cape Broyle section... all great and fairly easy to do.

As for the North Section, there's some nice trails in torbay - one which goes from motion to middlecove beach. If you want more info you can check out the east coast trail site. Happy hiking!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Buddy, Thanks so much.
I've checked the web site for the trail and the hikes lookd great. It's hard to choose, but your recommendations really help. Tinker Point looks great as well as The La Manche Village Path. We really want to do the La Manche to Brigus South to cross over the bridge.
A question.... The Spout Path may be a bit long for us... so if we only wanted to do part of it, should we hike from the Shoal Bay end or the Bay Bulls end at North Shore to Bread and Cheese? Is the ocean visible from most of the trails? and are most of the trails high on cliffs? or down lower towards the water?
Thanks again for your help.
We are really excited about our trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 06:37 PM

We recently did hike La Mancha with our 2 children. Very nice - they enjoyed the suspension bridge and staircase. We didn't go much further given our schedule...it would have been nice to have lunch and relax, especially as there was no one else around. Enjoy!
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dial for your response. We are looking forward to our hikes.
I read your response to Krisz and it sounds like you had a wonderful trip. We hiked in Grosse Morne 5 years ago on our first trip to Newfoundland and are so anxious to see more of Newfoundland.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:24 AM

for the spout trail, if you're not planning to hike the whole way through then go from the bay bulls end - it's the nicer part of the trail and takes you through the abandoned community of Freshwater (where there's a great swimming hole) and past the lighthouse.

There's a view of the ocean the whole way along the trail (except for five minutes here and there) and the trail is mainly high up at the top of cliffs (sufficiently set back that you don't have to worry about toppling off!)

Have a great hike!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi b37lah. Thanks so much for answering my questions about the hikes. Only a few more weeks til we leave and we are so excited. I'm sure the views out over the ocean will be beautiful.
I have a couple of other questions, but will post them on the other question going on right now....