Reload this Page >

Early August Itinerary

Search

Early August Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:51 AM
j pruitt

Early August Itinerary

Four adults will arrive at Yarmouth on a Sun. We plan to drive up the west coast along the lighthouse trail, stop at Lunenburg for the night. Drive through Halifax and on toward Truro(is that the best place to see the tides?). Then we want to go back down the Bay of Fundy side and end up around Digby where we want to go whale and bird watching. We plan to stay there 2 nights and then we will leave from Yarmouth on Thurs. night. Does this seem like a reasonable plan. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Bob Brown

We made a special stop at Truro to see the so called tidal bore come up the stream. What we saw was a ripple about 6 inches high proceed up strem. True, you don't see one of those on the Potomac River or the Hudson, but I failed to see what all the shouting was about. <BR>I hope others had a more spectacular performance that I did. The tides are high, very high, around the Bay of Funday, but they come in over a period of several hours so that even where the difference between high and low tide is 50 feet, you don't see a wall of water come surging at you like a Tsunami. <BR>I may be in the minority here. So I suggest you gather several opinions before forming a conclusion. <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Liz

We also made a special stop in Truro. Felt exactly like Bob Brown. Also, town was least interesting of all in NS. Not worth the trouble. Too bad you're not getting to Cape Breton, which was by far the best part of NS in my opinion.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Tanya

I would recommend you stay in Halifax for one night instead of Truro. Lots to do in the city. Keep off the main highways and take the designated scenic trailways! You can do whale watching from both Lunenburg and Halifax not only Digby area. You may want to spend a night in Wolfville. Take in a lobster dinner at Halls Harbour.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Tanya

thanks for the suggestions. Do you think Lunenburg is worth a night? What do like about Wolfviille besides the lobster? <BR>Any other restaurant suggestions at any of the places along the way?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Tanya

You can get lobster anywhere throughout Nova Scotia, however, Halls Harbour is a very picturesque artist's village located not far from Wolfville that offers lobster dinner that you eat sitting outside on a picnic table. I guess it is the atmosphere. The drive from Halifax to Lunenburg is very pretty and rugged. Take the Lighthouse route and you will travel along Peggy's Cove, past many lovely beaches, Chester, Mahone Bay and finally arriving in Lunenburg which is designated a UNESCO world heritage site. The Boscowen Inn is lovely there to stay. Check with the tourist information when you arrive in Yarmouth (should be right off the dock). They will help you sort out your itinerary and routes to take.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Bob Brown

I thought one place on Cape Breton Island was extremely worth going to: the fortress as Louisbourg. In school, I always got history from "our" side. The English won, and winners usually write the history. Louisbourg gives a view from the other side so to speak. I always like to see the situation from another point of view. So I thought Louisbourg was a very educational experience. <BR> <BR>As an aside, I thought it was interesting when we toured Canyon de Chelly in AZ to hear the Navajo side of the invasion by the Spanish and later by US troops. Whether or not the assertions by our guide are fact or not, his narrative reflected how his people see the situation. We should all try to view their culture from their perspective and not ours.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:11 AM
jpruitt

Bob, I'm sorry we decided that we didn't have time to go to C. Breton this time without spending most of our time on the road. I enjoy your comments. <BR>Tanya, Wolfville seems like a good choice for us and Halls Harbour. What about lodging in Wolfville or nearby.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Tanya

Depending on price range here are a few suggestions. <BR> <BR>Blomidon Inn, Wolfville - restored 1882 sea captain's mansion - rates from $89 <BR>www.blomidon.ns.ca <BR> <BR>Tattingston Inn - Wolfville - registered heritage property complimentary full breakfast prices range from $98 up to $175. <BR>www.tattingstone.ns.ca <BR> <BR>Inn the Vineyard - Grand Pre - Elegant heritage property in owner's family since 1779, spacious rooms with fireplaces, elegant breakfasts, close to winery and Wolfville Rates from $59-109 <BR>www.bestinns.net/Canada/ns/vineyard.html or (902)542-9554 <BR> <BR>or there is a hotel The Old Orchard Inn, pool, not fancy but clean <BR>www.oldorchardinn.com 1-800-561-8090 <BR> <BR>Check out these sites. let me know if I can be of any additional help.