Driving Winnipeg to Drumheller

Jul 21st, 2006, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Driving Winnipeg to Drumheller

I only can stand about 4 hrs. of driving prairie roads so am thinking of splitting up this drive. My husband thinks I'm nuts. He thinks we should drive straight to Regina rather than stopping before that. Any comments?
Jul 21st, 2006, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to add that this is for a vacation.I don't consider sitting in a car vacation and would rather get out and see sites.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:04 AM

fly to Calgary and rent a car.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:10 AM

Fly to Calgary and rent a car.
After all, it is 1900 miles Winnipeg to Drumheller. Thats 6 days if you stick to your limitations.

Just which sites did you have in mind?
Or did you intend sights?

Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:15 AM

OOOPS Make that 800 miles. Read the wrong line.

Still not a short distance.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

The reason we are driving this time is there are 4 of us and to fly would cost about $1200, then we would need to rent a car $600. I think for saving $2000 one can consider driving.

I'm thinking of stopping in Souris, Regina, Medicine Hat, Drumheller, then on the way back Saskatoon and Riding Mountain. It is getting complicated booking all the hotels, however.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:33 AM

Hi SeasonJoy,

I know what you mean about prairie driving, but sometimes the trade-off is having more time at an interesting destination when you get there.
I think staying in Regina midway makes perfect sense. Just take some breaks on the drive. Then Regina to Drumheller and the wonderful Tyrell Museum.
The trip back could be a little more leisurely through Saskatoon, but I think you really have to find fairly good accomodations with swimming pools to allow everyone to have a change of pace once you stop.
We have taken long drives with kids but they slept well in vehicles, and could read which makes a big difference. But the pool/hot tub and great dinner at the end of the day seemed to smooth out all the wrinkles for everyone.
Hope you have a good time!
Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:41 PM

I would drive, too.
Drumheller and the Royal Tyrrell Museum is worth the effort. I have been there twice, and based on what I read, the displays are improved.

It is a museum that is devoted to paleontology. Anyone who has no interest in that subject may be disappointed.

You can combine the Drumheller visit with a visit to Dinosaur Provincial Park farther to the east and closer to the Sakatchewan border.

It should be a good complement to the Royal Tyrrell Museum.

Wish I had the time to go back this summer.