Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving from White Horse to Jasper? Or Prince Rupert to Jasper?

May 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Hello, in early June we are driving a new car across the USA and would like to see Alaska and Jasper as well. It seems, we have two options:
1. We can drive from Prince Rupert to Jasper or,
2. From Haines to Jasper. Which option would be more sensible and less wear and tear on the car also? I do worry about the car, which we purchased two weeks ago.
Also, would anyone know if there is 'safe' car storage in Prince Rupert? Thank you for any suggestions you can give me.
May 9th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Are you talking about Haines Junction in Yukon Territories?

Haines Junction to Japser is about 1,300 miles via either Yellowhead/37 or via Alaska Highway. Prince Rupert to Jasper is about 650 miles. You're talking half the distance here.
May 10th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the drive from Haines Junction is about 500 miles longer, but this is where I am lost. If we leave the car in Prince Rupert, and take a ferry to Skygway, we have to return to Prince Rupert by ferry and then drive to Jasper. So the drive would be shorter, but the elapsed time 'could be longer'. If we take the car to Skagway,or Haines and drive to Jasper via White Horse, the drive would be longer and thecost transporting the car would be also higher. But would Alaska Hwy be more scenic and therefore worth the extra drive and expense? Or could the road conditions slow us down considerably?
What would be your decision? (Unfair question) As you can tell,I have no clue what would make more sense. Thank you
May 10th, 2004, 07:28 AM

puffinx - First, just want to say that I haven't driven anywhere near those areas, so I don't have specific detail. I have been researching for a trip on the Alaska Highway, and I have great interest in road trips, and therefore my response.

Now, I see that you're talking about Haines, AK. That's another 200 km from Haines Junction, YT. So, the distance to Jasper is over 1,400 miles, compared to 650 from Prince Rupert. That's a difference of 750 miles, not 500.

Those roads are mostly 2-lanes (one each way). You really cannot go that fast. If I am planning a trip, I'd expect about 50MPH average, instead of 65-70 on interstates down south. And you need to think about overnight locations. Towns and motels are few and far between. For example, Haines to Haines Junction to Whitehorse to Watson Lake, YT is just over 800km, or about 500 miles. That's 10 hours of driving, which makes it somewhat risky because there's really nothing for miles before Watson Lake.

What I am saying is that you have to lower the average travel distance per day, and to cautiously plan out the alternatives while driving those parts of N. America.
May 10th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Very well said and thank you, again.

Decided to leave the car in Prince Rupert and drive from there.