Driving in Canada....Insurance?

Jun 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 256
Driving in Canada....Insurance?

OK. I carry full-coverage with no deductible here in the US.

My question is: When I rent a car in Edmonton in July, will I have to buy insurance they sell, or will mine be good enough?

Oddly enough, the lady at my insurance company couldn't tell me for certain.

magnumholmes is offline  
Jun 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 959
I used to rent cars frequently for business when I worked for the federal government. We had government issued En Route cards and I believe one of the "perks" was that when renting a car, it included car insurance. You may want to look at what your credit cards offer.

Auto insurance was standard for all En Route cards, the only thing special about the En Route cards being government issued were that a copy of the statements were also sent to the accounting department to ensure that balances were paid off etc. once the person received their travel expenses reimbursement. By having the cards it saved on giving out cash advances for trips and people couldn't say they didn't have a credit card to put the expenses against.
ShelliDawn is offline  
Jun 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,623
Normally, you will be covered in Canada the same as in the US. Mexico, however, is an entirely different story.

I would call my insurance company back, and request a supervisor to get your answer. Read the fine print of your policy as well. (It's scary when somebody like that can't answer what I think must be a fairly common quesion!)

As ShelliDawn suggested, you may also have coverage on your credit cards that could be very beneficial to you.
sludick is offline  
Jun 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,019
My understanding is that your liability insurance is valid in Canada for a rental car. Your collision insurance does not cover a rental car.

That is why many credit cards offer coverage if you rent the car and pay for it with that card.

I rely on my credit card to bail me out if I smack up a rental and I am at fault.

I have yet to file a claim.
bob_brown is offline  
Jun 16th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,121
I don't know how it works that way, but as a Canadian renting a car in the States, I don't need extra insurance. I get the company to give me a printout of my insurance to take with me to the rental company, just in case. Still, Enterprise in Oregon tried pushing extra coverage; National in Hawaii did not.
April is offline  
Jun 16th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,354
We travel to Canada quite often, and our insurer (USAA) provides us with a "proof of insurance" card for use in Canada each time we renew the policy. You will have to have either the policy itself (pretty tough when renting) or something from your insurance carrier to prove that you have coverage.
Bobmrg is online now  
Jun 16th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,019
There is a yellow card that most insurers will issue for the trip. I get one.

I do suggest that anyone renting a car in Canada consult their insurance agent and find out just what coverage is provided.

I know that in my case, collision damage is not covered but liability is.
bob_brown is offline  
Jun 16th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,849
It is my understanding that the "proof of insurance" card US companies issue to their policy holders do not suffice if you are stopped or involved in an accident while in Canada. Instead, you need another card, also issued by your insurance company, certifying your policy covers you in Canada. They only take a few moments to issue but many of the office people in agent's offices are not aware of them, especially if the agent is located a long distance from the border. That was the case with my agent and I had to insist on speaking to the agent and she then told her staff about them and had a supply of them ready to be filled out.
dwooddon is online now  
Jun 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 256
OK. So you guys have given me a lot of conflicting information on this.

I live in Missouri (right now misery, not just because of the heat, either) and my agent's receptionist had no idea what I was even talking about. I have my insurance through American Family.

Any suggestions on what I need to do? I really think having collision coverage is a must, especially since I carry $50 collision in the US. I just want to be sure, but I don't want to be ripped off by the renting company either. Regardless of what anybody says, if you're in a hurry, say your flight got in a lot later than originally planned, or whatever, you may agree to something that you wouldn't under regular circumstances.

Anyway, do you have any idea on whom I should call to find out for sure?
magnumholmes is offline  
Jun 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 48
We are from the states and have traveled in Canada several times in the past few years. The first time we were given a proof of insurance card from our agent specifically for Canada. When we went to Canada in April, our agent told us the laws have changed and it was better to purchase insurance from the rental car agency to avoid major hassles if we were to be involved in a wreck. It cost me an additional $35 per day thru Avis. I guess it was worth the peace of mind. However, before we travel in Canada again in July, I am going to check with my credit card companies.
kwick58 is offline  
Jun 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 483
Call your credit card companies. Use the credit card to rent your vehicle, as it will provide the excess coverage, eg, collision you need. However, this insurance is only good if you decline the rental company's coverage! Do not pay $35 a day or anything else to get coverage from a rental car company - it is a huge ripoff - unless you are in a country that requires you to do this - such as Italy. Find out from Avis, or whomever, what the restrictions are in Canada. My 3 week rental in July permits travel ONLY in Washington, Oregon and BC. Our agent at State Farm says we don't need any other 'cards' in Canada.
oliverandharry is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:28 AM.