Search

Driving from Whistler to Jasper

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:36 PM
llt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Whistler to Jasper

We intend to drive from Vancouver to Whistler,stay for 1 night and proceed to Jasper,via Kamloops(is this the best way?)to Jasper in June.Pl advise the best shortest route and is it too long for 1 day?
Alternatively,is it better to start from Vancouver and visit Whistler for few hours and proceed to Kamloops for the night and drive to Jasper the next day?
Pl help and advise the best shortest route as this is our first time driving in Canada.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM

First some info on distances:

Vancouver to Whistler, give yourself 2 hours

Whistler to Jasper, 8-10 hours, via Kamloops.

So overnight in Whistler.

My suggestion, would be to plan on taking two days to reach Jasper and over night in the Mountain resort of Sun Peaks, 40 min. away. Much better accommodation, cooler and great access to hiking, sightseeing etc.

Plan to spend two days in Jasper, then take the Icefields Hwy to Banff and spend 2 days there. Total trip will be @ 7 days and you will see some of the Best of Western Canada.

Hugh Tafel - Director
www.CmeDrive.com
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:00 PM
llt
Original Poster

Thks Hugh.But the thing is we donn't have the 2 days to reach Jasper.We only have 2 days max from Vancouver to Jasper.We either can stay over night at Whistler ,continue long day ahead to Jasper OR travel to Whistler in the morning,have few hours and continue to Kamloops for the night.Then next day go to Jasper.

How do you suggest then?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM

I'm not sure why you are intent on seeing Whistler with your limited time.
I'd suggest leaving Vancouver and head to Kamloops via the Coquihalla ( Highway 5) up from Hope and carry on through Kamloops to perhaps Sicamous or Revelstoke for the night.
Then the next day, continue on up through the Icefileds Parkway Hwy 93 to Jasper. Even then , it will be a rush.
But believe me, you will be seeing magnificent scenery.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM

If you have limited time, I would forget about Whistler and have a more relaxing time travelling to Jasper.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
llt
Original Poster

Hi Kodi and leuk,thanks.But if we intend to see Whistler and is it ok to do the one day long trip from Whistler to Jasper OR stay say half way (where?Pl advise accomodation.) before Kamloops,after seeing Whistler for few hours? And continue to Jasper the next day via Kamloops?

Please help as I need to plan accomodation.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Which route are you planning on taking from Whistler to Jasper. I'm afraid you are really short changing yourself . The scenery without doing Whistler is outstanding... but let us know which route.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM
llt
Original Poster

Hi Kodi,I need your advice as to which is the best route for travelling from Whistler to Jasper.Noted via little town called Liollite,then to Kamloops,then to Jasper.

Do you think one day is too rush?

Pl help.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM

The route north from Whistler, that goes on through Lillooet is much less travelled and not the best way to go. It will take you way too long.

The way I recommend is to return to Vancouver , east to Hope and up the Coquihalla highway to Kamloops.

I don't think it is possible to drive from Whister to Jasper in one day, and I'm still not sure why you are intent on going to Whistler.

YOu'd still be better off heading straight to Kamloops, then along Highway 1 to at least Revelstoke and stopping there for the night.

Then the second day continue along Hwy1 to Hwy 93 and up to Jasper. The scenery is outstanding.

Even if you still want to go to Whistler, I'd still aim at getting to Revelstoke the same day. Whew...not sure if this is even realistic.