Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving Frfom Vancouver to Talkeetna, Alaska- Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I am driving from Vancouver to Talkeetna (Mt. McKinley) in late April and I really need some input on what to do/where to stay! Here are some of my thoughts so far:

We are wanting to stop by a hotsprings on the way, maybe Liard Springs? Other good ones?

Also, should we take the Alaskan Highway the whole way or I have heard that there is a Coastal Highway?

Any suggestions for Mt McKinley? We have heard that either a bush plane or a helicopter touor is the way to go if you are strapped for time (we are!)

What about: Dawson City and Skagway? should we go there?

Thanks- I really appreciate your input!

matt
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Google Maps recommends the Alcan Highway. There is no coastal route that I (or Rand-McNally) can think of.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Mapquest has only one suggestion also. Wow 2,400 miles each way. That is ambitious. How long do you have for this trip?
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Are you really sure that you must drive there? I know it is late April, but that can still be winter on parts of the route. Many of the tourist destinations or stopovers will not be open yet. You could have a snowstorm in that time frame, are you prepared for that too? Maybe the better question would be, can I take the Alaska Ferry and avoid a lot of driving?
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

WE are driving to Alaska from Vancouver. We are ending in Alaska- not driving back- and we have 10 days to get there. We have looked at other options ie the Alaska Ferry and it costs a good bit...

i went and got maps from AAA and we are going to take the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver and meet up with the Casear (I cant spell it) that meets up with the Alaskan highway in Northern B.C.

Any suggestions on things to do once we get to Alaska? We are planning on seeing the volcano that has recently had activity as well as Denali National Park and Kodiak Island...

Thanks for your input!!

I will update everyone when I get back!
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

BEST TRIP EVER!!!

Thank you all so much for your feedback. The trip was great!! WE took the Sea to sky highway out of vancouver and then a few other roads until the Cassiar. The Cassiar connected with the Alaskan Highway!

Great things:
1-Sea to Sky Highway was almost unbelievable- it was so pretty!!
2- Hot Springs right outside of Whitehorse- so great!!
3- Strectch of highway once you enter Alaska was unreal. beautiful frozen lakes and mountains!
4- Flight to Mt. McKinley from Talkeetna- one of the best things that I have ever done. We landed on the Glacier and picked up a couple of climbers at their base camp-WOW!!!
5-We stayed in Hostels the whole time and they were really great!
6-Skiing at Alyeska-Really Cool!

Things that I wish would have been different/didnt like:
1- Anchorage was a big let-down. Not much character and it seemed really dirty.
2-We didnt get to fish or see too many animals (we saw moose, elk, caribou, foxes, rabbits, lots of birds, seea lions, walruses, seals-just no bears or whales!)
3- The hospitality in Canada was pretty weak. We had a credit card stolen, lots of rude employees and we were double charged for an oil change...

All in all- so amazing and I would recommend this trip to anyone!!