Driving Boston to Halifax w/ no ferry

Nov 6th, 2002, 08:09 PM
klam

Driving Boston to Halifax w/ no ferry

Need to drive from Boston area to Halifax, and the ferries (from Bar Harbor and Portland) have finished their runs for the season.

Any suggestions on which route to take with a big truck? Tia.

Nov 7th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Melissa

I am not sure exactly the route from Boston, but you will have to go through New Brunswick. You could either cross at Calais Maine, into St. Stephan NB. take route 1, until you hit the Trans Canada Hwy, which will get you into NS or cross at Houlton Maine, and get onto the Trans Canada Hwy in Woodstock NB, and follow it.

Nov 8th, 2002, 07:10 AM
klam

Melissa, thanx a mint for your thoughts on this. Looks like we'll take the Houlton route as it appears to follow the major highways more. We'll definitely be driving slow and want to ensure other motorists can pass us safely along the way.

Do you know what the roads are like there (e.g., mountainous terrain, lots of curves)?

I can't believe it snowed in Halifax yesterday...I hope we're okay driving thru it with a 24-foot truck!

Nov 8th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Melissa

The roads in some areas of the TCH look more like a country road than a major highway, but they aren't too bad. After Fredericton is is pretty much a 4 lane hwy the whole way. NB and NS are more hilly than mountainous. I don't think there are too many twists and turns. If you are from Boston, I think you will be fine when snow flys. We have got a bunch of snow, but it is supposed to warm up a lot next week, and rain, so it will all be gone.

Nov 11th, 2002, 11:29 AM
klam

Melissa, thanx for extra info on what type of roads to expect! I think if we go slow we should be fine.

BTW, any idea of a company that would store a vehicle for about 3 months (other than U-Haul type places which cost about $130/mo). Just want to keep the snow off of it so it doesn't need to be totally enclosed, carport-type storage would be fine. Hoping to spend about $50/month.

Also, any recommendations for good local movers?

Nov 12th, 2002, 03:12 AM
Melissa

That I can't help you with because I do not live in Halifax.