Dining in Vancouver

Search

Dining in Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining in Vancouver

Our vacation approaches and I've been doing some research including on Chowhound. For you food folks~here is the list of some places we hope to dine. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated:
Kirin(Richmond),Rain City Grill, Vij's, Bin 941 or Bin 942,Cioppino or Quattro on Fourth. Thanks for your help
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:33 PM

Kirin - there are three Kirin's and unless you are in Richmond you will probably be closest to the one in City Square, (12th & Cambie). This Cantonese Seafood restaurant is very good but a bit pricey for Chinese and I think Sun Sui Wah on Main is better at almost half the price. There are so many Chinese restaurants of at least a half dozen regional variations that the competitive factor alone makes most of them exceptionally reasonable. You've chosen one of the classier and therefore more expensive ones.

Rain City Grill is one of my favorite places for West Coast Cuisine but be warned. The portions are small but lovely to the eye and palate and actually suprisingly satisfying and it has become more pricey with it's increase in popularity. If the evening is nice sit on the Patio and watch the sunset over English Bay. The abundance of Palm trees will probably suprise you if you're from the states and think of Canada as 'cold'. Again there are a huge variety of West Coast Cuisine places and while you can't go wrong quality wise with Rain CityFor something really different try the Liliget Feast House a restaurant run by First Nation, (local aboriganal), peoples and usually ncludes entertainment with their authentic native food.

Vij's is a great East Indian vegetarian restaurant but I believe it still doesn't take reservations so avoid it on a weekend. As with Chinese there is a large number and regional variety of Indo Canadian restaurants but I'm not an expert and Vij's is good so enough said.

Don't know anything about the 'Bins' but I have heard second hand that Cioppino is good.

Quattro's on Fourth is a very good Meditteranean restaurant with big portions and very authentic food. You have to work to eat the prawns, shrimps and shellfish because they don't unwrap them, (from their shells), and some people dislike that. But it's worth it.

You didn't mention other Vancouver specialties like our great Sushi restaurants but I assume that if you were interested you'ld have included some. Hope I've been of some help.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gary~Sorry it's a toss up for us on sushi...En or Tojo..your thoughts?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:03 PM

TOJO
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:59 AM

I just got back from BC yesterday (an amazing feat, considering I flew with Air Canada) and had a superb dinner at Rain City Grill. I'm told there is something called the Tomato Menu coming up next week - there's a guy in the area who grows all kinds of tomato varieties, and they have special recipes made with/from them.