Dining and accomodations in STRATFORD

Feb 1st, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Dining and accomodations in STRATFORD

Does anyone have any recommendations for dining in Stratford? We like all types of cuisine.

Also, anyone stayed at/heard of a great bed and breakfast in town?

Thanks!
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:50 AM

Since I am in the accommodation industry in Stratford, it isn't appropriate for me to comment on B&Bs... but I do have a pretty extensive insight into local restaurants both through my eyes (mouth?) and my guests'.

The three most well-known (and most expensive) restaurants in the city are The Church, The Old Prune, and Rundles. In different travel guides, they are always mentioned, though each guide ranks them differently.

My favorites aren't quite as 'slick' as the big three, but have great food, and a certain charm... Bijou, Sapori's, Keystone Alley. Other popular choices include Down The Street (especially great for a drink after the show) and Pazzo.

All of these restaurants have websites which can be found through the Stratford Festival site www.stratfordfestival.ca

Feb 1st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Oh come on Goldilocks, the three bears are not going to find out that you divulged the best B & Bs!!!

Seriously though, there are a few that look gorgeous but are really highly priced (Touchstone Manor for one which looks beautiful!).

Have you ever heard of the Arbour Garden? It also looks to be newer in town perhaps. The others that I would consider are The Chisholms, Old Rectory and Birmingham Manor. Any others I should consider that you could comment upon? Please!

Regarding restaurants, I have been to the Church and found it both pretentious and over-priced. Rundles and Old Prune are on my list for when I win the lotto!

We have been to Keystone, which was great, and Down the Street which was also fabulous, so we have a winning streak when it comes to dining in Stratford.

I wanted to try something new and I am glad that you mentioned Bijou because it is on my list. I have never heard of Sapori's. Is it new?

Also, what is the scoop on Carters on Downie?

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it!
Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:41 AM

Of the B&Bs mentioned Arbour Garden is the only one I don't know well, but the photos look great on their website.

Any of the others mentioned, I would stay at myself without hesitation. It all comes down to budget, personal preferences for style and ammenities offered, and the big one, availablility.

Sapori's is fairly new, and while the place is small and doesn't have the polish and slick look of some of the other restaurants, the food is fabulous and the owners are wonderful.

I have been to Carters once, and have had only a few guests who have been there. While it is a fine place, it is certainly not among the 'must do' restaurants in town.

If you have never done a backstage tour or a costume warehouse tour, I would definately recommend booking one- they give an interesting insight into the Festival.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Goldilox!