Cruise ship, going ashore dress code

Aug 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Cruise ship, going ashore dress code

A group of us have booked a cruise into the maritimes and Quebec City, for late aug/early sept....
Going over the cruise ship "general informaton" pages, I found under Dress Code on shore.... No exposed shoulders or knees. Short pants and tank tops are not acceptable.
Heck, shorts are about all I wear in summer and was planning on taking on this trip...is this correct? I CAN'T wear short off the ship....
Aug 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Well, I have not been to the maritimes I have been to Quebec City. I would not see an issue in the summer wearing shorts and t-shirts unless you were planning on going somewhere nice in the evening to eat. There are music clubs and bistros that it would be appropriate to dress a little nicer. If you are wandering about the city and hitting the tourist spots during the day I think dressing according to weather conditions is fine.
Aug 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM

"No exposed shoulders or knees. Short pants and tank tops are not acceptable"

That's for a stop in a remote part of the South Pacific not Quebec, as you'll see when you land.
Aug 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM

I have no idea to what they are referring. You'll find Maritimers even more casually dressed than those in Quebec City, and less fashionable as well!

Maybe they're referring to entering places of worship (cathedrals, etc.)?

Enjoy-la!
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Klam I was just going to say that - they must mean churches but even that I find difficult to believe the way people attend the church I go to (when I go).
Aug 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM
LJ

You won't have a problem in shorts, tank tops or whatever, but you might feel a little out of place if your itinerary includes Corner Brook, St. John's (Yes, I know its supposed to be Maritimes and not Atlantic provinces, but lots of folks get that wrong!) or Halifax or St. John, NB...not out of modesty, but out of temperature concerns...evenings can be cool!