Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Crossing into and out of Canada without a passport

Oct 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

My US passport expired recently and I sent it to be renewed. Now I have to make a trip from Seattle, Washington to Vancouver, Canada and back. I have read that you can still cross into and out of Canada with a certified copy of your US birth certificate and an id such as a drivers license. Can anyone confirm that this is correct? The US State Dept. website is not completely clear. Thanks.
Oct 11th, 2005, 01:56 AM

Maybe you can find the required information under
www.hellobc.com/en-CA/default.htm

See on the page the point "notice to us visitors".

Another good information source is the canadian embassy. The will have a official webpage with information for travellers.
Oct 11th, 2005, 03:54 AM

" have to make a trip from Seattle, Washington to Vancouver, Canada and back. I have read that you can still cross into and out of Canada with a certified copy of your US birth certificate and an id such as a drivers license."

This is true. The border people are used to this and don't even give it a second look. No problem.

However...The policy is about to change. After sometime next year, you will need a passport.
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:08 AM

There is a lot of mixed information about this - however I had same situation this past summer with an expired passport and had no problem -
Air Canada staff assured me picture ID is all that is needed - but bring your expired passport along just in case
Oct 11th, 2005, 09:38 AM

My husband used just ID last month between BC and Seattle and nobody blinked an eye.
Oct 12th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Here is the official State dept website too which may be helpful...For further information regarding documentation requirements, visit http://travel.state.gov/travel/warnings.html.
Oct 12th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. You put into plain English what the US State Department apparently could not!
Thanks.
Oct 13th, 2005, 06:37 PM

A copy of your birth certificate is NOT ok. They don't always ask for it, but if they do, it must be a certified certificate, not a photocopy!

Here is the website with info. from U.S. Customs:

http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/cust...i=&p_topview=1