Convince me to go to NFLD

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, We are decided against going back to PEI and are considering NFLD for a week however hubby doesn't think there is enough to do. Please help me convince him. My father was born in the Bay Roberts area and there is a Legion somewhere near there that has a memorial to him from WW2 that I would love to see. What should we see?? We will fly into St John's and rent a car.

Thanks
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I should add that we will be going the 2nd week of July family of 4, 2 kids 15 and 11. Thanks
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Dear hockeychic: Actually, you've mentioned the very reasons for the trip, and there cannot be more important ones. Your dad's daughter and grandkids want to share a very special part of your family history. If these reasons aren't enough, I doubt there are better ones. But, icebergs, puffins, whales, caribou, stunning scenery, etc., also provide potential backdrops/ sidetrips to the outing. Is your dad still alive? Having a memorial dedicated to him is very special. My dad served in the US Army during WWII. He's gone many years now and I wish my family had something similar.
As an aside, I used to fish in Bay Roberts in Sarasota, Fla, only a few hours from where I lived in FLA many years ago. I never realized that there was another Bay Roberts!
Have a wonderful trip.
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:55 AM
LJ

Newfoundland is where I spent the better part of my teen years and then had the opportunity to go back last year for 8 months (a work contract). I can hardly wait to go again.

St. John's is a spectacular city with a harbour more the like the European harbours than you may have seen in North America. The view from Signal Hill, the Marconi Tower and the fabulous walking trails where you can pick blueberries and partridge berries right in the city are wonderful.

The restaurants are plentiful and varied (try Auntie Craes sandwiches, Django's updated cods' tongues, Ches's fish and chips)and there are hotels and guest houses galore (our favourite: Maunder Manor on Forest Road-say hi to Yvonne and Don).

The Arts and Culture Centre has something going on all the time, the new musem (The Rooms) will be open soon and the Geological centre on Signal Hill is amazing.

The bars, clubs and music scene is lively and varied from sophisticated blues and fun rockin' on George Street to a good old fashioned Newfie Mug-up at many local clubs and churches (yes, that side of life is alive and well in this old world city).

And the people just couldn't be nicer or more welcoming...genuine hospitality.

Am I tempting you yet? If not, let me come back on line and go on and on about Cow Head, St. Anthony and the West Coast!Or Burgeo,New Chelsea, Lumsden and the beaches! Or Cape St. Mary's and the bird sanctuary!Or...
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:31 AM

A week in Newfoundland is only enough to convince you to go back again. As mentioned in the previous post St. John's can keep you busy for a week. Add the Geo Center, Fort Amherst Lighthouse, Cape Spear (WWII batteries), Quidi Vidi, and some rambling along the East Coast Trail to your list. About an hour south of St. John's is Ferryland with a really neat archelogical dig & museum. It is the longest continuously occupied colony in North America. It was founded by Lord Baltimore the year before he founded Baltimore, Maryland. An hour south of Ferryland are some really neat fossil beds that you can walk to. The lighthouse near there is where the distress signal from the Titantic was received. A couple hours north of St. John's is Trinity. It is a beautiful town, slightly touristy, but fun. The theater company has a pagent a couple of times a week. The actors walk through town and tell the story of the people of Trinity.

The best thing you could do is find some relatives. The people of Newfoundland are the most wonderful we have ever met. I wish I could claim some as my relatives.

We went to Newfoundland for two weeks three years ago. We are making our third trip back this summer.

Have fun. You will find plenty to do.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:24 PM

GO! GO! GO!
We went last summer with children aged 14 and 12 and we all enjoyed it. We went for 2 weeks flying in/out of St Johns and drove up to St Anthony. With one week, just stay in eastern Newfoundland (St John's, Trinity, Bonavista). The mix of city, walks/hikes, puffins, icebergs, whales, wonderful people, seafood, history, etc.
Your family connections should be even more reason as we have no family connection with Nfld. For us, it is important for our children to see the many varied parts of Canada.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:24 PM

My wife and I visited NL last summer and we loved it. I could go on forever about it but if you like natural beauty the we highly recommend Gros Morne National Park of Canada which really took us by surprise. Go to www.pc.gc.ca and it will give you information about the park. We also really liked Blow Me Down Provincial Park east of Corner Brook. We did so much while on the island and were never bored at all! If you're interested I can recommend many more things....