Converting Money from American to CAD

Mar 5th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Converting Money from American to CAD

I'll be flying into Montreal on Tuesday evening and driving to Mont Tremblant. Should I exchange money before I go or is there a bank/some sort of exchange place in Mont Tremblant? I'm sure there is one but does anyone know if it will give me a good rate or if I should drive a bit to find a regular bank? Thanks for any help you can provide!
Mar 5th, 2004, 02:27 PM

I'd use an ATM machine at the airport. That's what I do whenever I go to Canada (or Europe).
Mar 5th, 2004, 03:34 PM

The important thing is to change it. Canadians are not terribly happy with people wanting to pay in US dollars. Maybe we're unreasonably sensitive but it does involve a bit of a bother when banking it at the end of the day. Some places lately have signs saying they no longer will accept US currency because of the ease with which that money is counterfitted, (sp?). The result is that you rarely get a fair exchange in stores. So ATM's and Credit Cards are the way to go.

One very important thing to never say is 'Is that price in US dollars?' - if it was it would say so - or even worse 'How much is that in US?' Learn the math yourself.
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

I actually have a bit of cash that I'd love to use so I'm wondering how I could bring that over with me and convert it. Do you think banks would exchange it for me for a reasonable rate or not? Why are ATMs so much better? Thanks for the responses!
Mar 5th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Currency echanges are usually better than banks although for $100 or less you're probably talking about less than $1.
Mar 5th, 2004, 07:47 PM

ATMs are better because there is probably not going to be a significant charge, you don't have to track down a bank, and you get the most current exchange rate. It's also so simple. It's like going to an ATM in the U.S., except Candian money comes out instead

Going to banks or exchanges is a pretty outdated way of doing things.
Mar 6th, 2004, 08:16 AM

I agree, the ATM or credit/debit card is the way to go most of the time. However, there are times when cold cash is needed. I always feel better with $50 or so Canadian dollars in my pocket.
Mar 7th, 2004, 09:51 AM

We have found currency exhcnages in most major government tourist information centers to be pretty reasonable. Also, we shopped at stores in major shopping areas that actually had registers that accepted USD with a decent conversion rate. I guess it depends on how interested they are in dealing with American tourists.
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:52 AM

We've been to Canada many times in the past 10 years and have found that using credit cards is the worst thing to do. They always add a surcharge which is usually a percentage of the total amount. We never use a credit card in Canada anymore.
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:27 PM

The "they" who add the surcharge is your credit card company. You might want to shop around for a credit card if you trvel ooften. The fee on our Visa is quite small. We have found the best rate by using our debit card, but like to get some cash from the ATM for walking around money.
Mar 7th, 2004, 06:43 PM

There is a small branch of National Bank of Canada right in the Village which should give you a good rate. You could find their webiste on the net and give them a call if you need to. Your hotel (or any hotel for that matter) will be able to change your money but will likely charge you a premium. I don't know about other foreign exchange places at the airport or the resort - sorry.
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:59 AM

I usually get a small amount of Canadian money (enough for taxi fare) from my bank at home and after I get to Canada, I withdraw some money from a Canadian ABM for small purchases. For larger purchases and admission to attractions, I use a credit card.

You may also want to call your bank to find out if they are affiliated with any Canadian banks. Before my last trip to Canada, I found out that Bank of America is affiliated with Scotiabank and I didn't have to pay any fees when withdrawing money from Scotiabank ABMs.