A 3-6 days trip off Toronto

Mar 5th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

A 3-6 days trip off Toronto

Hi, we are visiting Toronto in late May .
We would like to complement our stay with a 3 to 6 days visit from Toronto.
Where >? We are not sure. We would like to buy in Toronto a package from a Canadian Travel Agency. Any recommendations>? Thank you.
Mar 5th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Two totally different thoughts come to my mind.

One is Montreal, an easy long weekend by air or rail from Toronto. Eastern Canada's other big city but in French, but English is no problem since most Montrealers slip easily between English and French.

The other is Algonquin Park. You will need a car. It is early season and some trails will be a bit wet from snow melt. You should see lots of moose at the roadside early and late in the day. (Be careful driving!) Blackflies will be out in places. There are lots of places to stay just outside of the park if you not a camper. I can make some suggestions.

Let us know what strikes your fancy and we can add detail.
Mar 5th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

HI Gavin, thank you for your impute.
Both are good replies we were considering Montreal too, but I think the Algonquin Park sound terrific . (We have been a couple of times to Montreal)
So what do think? We should rent a car or look for some kind of package.? I personally always travel independently but this time I am kind of tempted to try somekind of a package even by bus is it does exist.
Thank you.
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:12 PM

I don't know of any packages to Algonquin. Why do you think you might want a package? Just rent a car and find a place to stay. There are a number of lodges/inns along hwy 60 west of the park. East of the park there are a couple of basic motels in the village of Whitney. I am familar with some of these extablishments and may be able to answer specific questions. Camping in the park is also an option but I am not a camper.

In the park there are lots of trails ranging from less than 1 km to 3 day backpacking trails. The visitor centre is worth a visit.
Mar 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gavin, Just being lazy I guess, but as I said we are not the package tip anyway.
I shall do my homework and then ask some questions unless you wish to recommend from the outset a nice lodge to stay. We love to walk in the trails so this trip seems a good complement with our visit to Toronto.
Thank you.
Mar 6th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Timberrosa does hiking and canoeing packages in Algonquin - www.ontariocanoeing.com.

One other idea is Montebello, Quebec's Chateau Montebello which is a beautiful resort closer to Ottawa (I think). I have never been but it gets amazing reviews and I keep making plans to go but then needing to cancel. It is a Fairmont Hotel.

There is also Niagara on the Lake if you want something pretty close but I don't think you'd want to spend more than 3 days there.
Mar 6th, 2004, 06:28 PM

We have stayed at Algonquin Lakeside Inn a few times but not recently. (Changes in our travel destinations, not dissatisfaction.) I believe that it fits the bill for a "nice lodge". It's beside Oxtongue Lake on Hwy 60 west of the park. Canoes were available to borrow when we stayed there. Google should pull up their website.

If you choose to stay on the west side purchase any groceries that you might want prior to getting too close to the park to save driving back for supplies. On the east side Whitney has a grocery store and a liquor store. Imention this because there are not many places to go for lunch in the park (Perhaps two open in in May) so it is often easier to pack your own.
Mar 8th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Killarney Provincial Park is far more scenic than Algonquin Park. You're right next to Georgian Bay and the Great Lakes - real water, not some little puddle in the in Muskokas. There are several places to stay in the town of Killarney near the park entrance.