Comment pls on itin-Waterton-Glacier-Banff--thx so much

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 10 day late June trip arriving in Calgary around 6 pm--headed to Waterton National Park for 3 nites next day, then 2 days in Glacier, 2 days in Banff and back to 1 nite airport for early morning departure. We would prefer not to get involved in going into Calgary for the first nite, as we plan to leave first thing in the morning for Waterton Glacier Suites. Is our best approach to stay in the airport area or is there a better option?

We have then booked Glacier Park Lodge for 2 nites (East Glacier), and then on to Banff staying at Best Western Plus Siding 29 Lodge for 2 nites. If you have any comments or suggestions on schedule and lodging, we are open--at this point, all are booked but can be adjusted. Thank you for your help
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:17 AM

I would only stay 2 days in Waterton and more in Glacier n.park.
You have several lakes, Logan pass with many hiking (hidden lake)pos.Paul
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 04:01 AM

Since you asked for comments, I'll put in my 2 cents. While I think Waterton Lakes NP is beautiful, it is not very big and most people would spend only 1 night there. Also, to me, you are missing out on one of the most spectacular drives, the Icefields Parkway (Banff to Jasper & back Jasper to Banff). So, you have 10 days (9 nights?). Don't know how much driving you want to do, but if it were me, I might do something like this:
Calgary - 1 night
Waterton NP - 1 night
Glacier NP - 2 nights
Banff - 1 night
Jasper - 1 night
Banff - 2 nights
Calgary - 1 night

No matter what you decide, you'll have a fantastic time!
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 07:31 AM

I will give my opinion.
Take in to account the driving time as you will be stopping at many places during your drive which adds to the time, looking at the itin you will have just about the time to go from point a to b.
First of all buy your national park pass.
then I would probably start in banff and finish it in banff there is no point in staying around calgary airport, then couple nights stay in jasper. you can add couple nights in waterton but i would imagine it will take whole day of driving.
You can also stay in one of the outskirts of banff which offers good accomodations,
I think the combo trip of banff gondola ride and columbia ice field trip very reasonable just in case you dont feel like driving on one day. Otherwise it is on your way to jasper.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Just a couple thoughts-- Glacier Park Lodge is a great lodge, but I don't think it has any view, at all. It's claim to fame is it's proximity to the train station. Many Glacier has the most spectacular view I've ever seen, but the hotel is less interesting. Waterton is much smaller than Glacier, so I'd probably plan a bit less time there. The eastern side of Glacier is pretty remote and the western side has more hotels/restaurants/shopping.