Will we regret not going to Banff?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are really wrestling with this decision and hoping to get some advice... this board has been great! The advice has been to go to the Canadian Rockies, however, we have some friends who will be in Glacier at the same time as us so we do want to spend time there.

We are heading for Glacier in two weeks... we have a total of 10-12 nights available (depending on drive time). We would hate to regret seeing or hurrying through an area of Glacier. However, we will be closer to Banff than we've ever been... Should we save it for another trip and do the Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho another time? .. not sure when we'll be back with college looming for both kids.... we would also then miss the 4th of July in the states.... any thoughts would be so appreciated in our decision making.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Lord, yes, go. The driving is not especially hard, and the facilities are quite well developed. You won't regret the detour. Frankly I'd adjust the time frame; see your friends at GNP but allocate a couple of GNP days to Banff instead.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:47 AM

I love the Jasper - Banff area but you're looking at almost a day to get there and then almost another day to get back. You are also going to want to spend at least two nights in the area. If you can do that and still see your friends I say, Go for it. If you can't, then maybe you would be better off saving it for another time.

I would suggest making it up to Waterton for a day trip.

Utahtea
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Definitely get to Banff! The entire area is gorgeous!!!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I also say go to Banff. My husband and I made a trip to Banff and Glacier in Aug. 2001. We had only six days. We spent a couple of days in Banff, Lake Louise area, then drove to Glacier. Except for driving the Going to the Sun Road, we didn't enjoy Glacier. It was too hot for hiking except in the early morning and it was uncomfortably hot at night in a park cabin. We went to Waterton, saw a bear, then went back and spent the last of our trip in Lake Louise. Although we weren't visiting anyone, being in Glacier for two days was plenty for me.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:03 AM

I agree with the posters recommending that you go to Banff and Jasper, if only for a couple of days. A few years ago, my husband and I spent about 5-6 days between Banff, Jasper, and Waterton, which was plenty to get a feel for the area. We'd love to go back and spend more time, but we got a lot out of our trip.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:25 AM

I've never been to Glacier but we did Banff/Lake Louise and Jasper. For nature in all its glory, that area is ABSOLUTELY one of the most fabulously amazing places I've ever seen.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:38 AM

YES YES YES, GO! You have plenty of time. Be sure you see the Icefields in Jasper, also. They're breathtaking!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, great advice... I think we have to find a way to fit in Banff....has anyone stayed at the Red Carpet Inn...?
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:46 PM
P_M

My dear, late grandmother travelled all over the world. Whenver someone asked what was her favorite place she ever visited, she would say that the crowning jewel of this earth was Banff/Lake Louise. After she passed, I visited this area in rememberance of her. I know she is spending eternity in Banff now because it is indeed heaven.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:44 PM

IMHO the Banff area is the most beautiful place in North America--you're too close to skip it. When we went we loved it so much we skipped Calgary just to get to spend a few more days in Banff!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 04:39 AM

We spent 2 days each in Banff and Jasper. Then the last 3 days of our week there in Calgary. The Stampede was on so we had tickets for that. That was fun and all but if I ever went back, I too would skip Calgary and spend the whole time up in the mtns.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:00 PM

go, go, go......Banff/Jasper and the Icefields Parkway between are the most beautiful places in No America. I have been 2 times and absolutely love it. I will DEFINITELY go back more tham once.....You will not regret your visit.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 02:59 PM

This may be a question with an obvious answer, but you are talking about the US Glacier park are you not? There is one in Canada, too, which is not all that far from Lake Louise. It is closer than the US National Park by the same name.

I would swap 3 US Glacier trips for one drive up the icefields Parkway and back.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Would definitely suggest Banff Nat'l Park (not the town, which is touristy), Lake Louise,Emerald Lake, Icefields Parkway, and Jasper. That said this would be a fairly ambitious itinerary if you are driving from Minnesota and trying to Glacier (US) too. If it is too much, make a separate trip if possible.