Search

Coming to Toronto! (yay!!)

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming to Toronto! (yay!!)

As an end-of-school-year tripette (I don't really think that's a word) I've booked into Pantages for four nights...lovely deal they've got going on right now.

Anyway, I've been reading the posts on here about Toronto and they have been very helpful. I do have just a few questions, though; my first is, how close is Victoria St. to Yonge or Bloor streets? (I've been looking for maps, but haven't come up with Victoria.)

Second, do you have any recommendations for day trips to Niagara? I know I don't really have enough time for both, but I would like to see the falls at long last! (It's kinda embarrassing that I've seen Iguassu and not Niagara...) I don't drive, so I would need a tour or something of the sort.

Thanks, and any helpful hints about Toronto from June 5 to the 9th would be appreciated!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 08:30 PM

Hello Amy,

On my map of Toronto, Victoria Street is parallel to Yonge Street and looks as if it's one block east of Yonge Street.

I found a website that said the Pantages Hotel was adjacent to Massey Hall, next to the Canon Theatre, and 2 minutes from Eaton Centre.

These places are on Yonge Street, between Dundas and Queen Streets (several blocks south of Bloor Street).

Obviously I can't show you my physical map, but I did find an Internet map that showed the Eaton Centre, Canon Theatre and Massey Hall:

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/pdf/downtown.pdf

As to your more specific questions, the Toronto Fodorites will be in a better position to answer them.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:47 AM

Yes, Victoria is one block east of Yonge and Pantages is 1 block from the Eaton Centre and you are within 1/2 blocks of both Dundas and Queen subway stations. Bloor St. is 3 subway stops north of Dundas and about 15 minute walk.

There are bus day tours to Niagara Falls. I don't know details but they probably stop at hotels and/or originate form the bus depot which is at Bay/Dundas, a 5 minute walk from Pantages.

Check out toronto.com for whats happening. As you get closer you can also check out Now, a free alternative paper which has very comprehensive listings - it comes out every Thursday. Enjoy!!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:04 AM
BAK

I was in the Pantages lobby a couple of weeks ago. You can find walkways from Yong Street to Victoria, so you don't even need to be at the end of a block.

If there is just oner traveller, taking a tour to Niagara is probably the best bet. For two people or more, renting a car costs less and gives you more flexibility. Probably the easiest places to arrange tours, if the hotel won't do it for you (I expect the hotel WILL arrage a tour, including pickup at the hotel)is to walk over a couple of blocks to the Delta Chelsea.

If you rent a car,you can do the whole trip to Niagara easily in a day, but check out the arrangements to return the car. You may be stuck with overnight parking fees if you come back to Toronto in the evening after the cr rental office is closed. Other rental copmpanies will let you park and drop off the keys in the evening.

BAK
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:22 AM
Amy
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your help! It seemed like Pantages was a good location, and the price was certainly right.

I can't wait! (I love teaching, truly I do, but the students only THINK they're the ones happiest to see June.)
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:17 AM

Hi Amy,
As stated above, Victoria St is just east of Yonge and it's between Dundas and Queen. If you are going up to Bloor to do some shopping, it's a GOOD 15 minute walk. I'd suggest hopping on the subway to Bloor. There is great shopping on Bloor St west of Yonge (expensive) and you could also wander around Yorkville, just north of Bloor.
Have a great time.