Clubbing in Toronto

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubbing in Toronto

My 19 year old friends and I are planning a trip to Toronto, are staying in a hostel downtown, and want to go clubbing.

Being 19 year old Americans, we have never been clubbing before and do not know what to expect as far as which clubs we will actually be able to get into and do not really know what appropriate "clubbing attire" is in Toronto.

Could anyone help us out? Club suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Just got back from TO and had ringside seats watching the entry line at Remy's while I chomped on my dessert... there are two main Club areas... the Entertainment district has several dance clubs that cater to the under 25 and the Yorkville area that is mixed younger and older... the dress we saw was short dresses/high heels and 19 year old girls trying to look like fashion models... the boys were dress jeans, shoes and button shirts, many with prints... there were a surprising number of boys with hats/ ala matt dillon in 80's movies... a lot of the summer hot spots have outdoor patios, but the noise restrictions keep the music low outside... since you are at a hostel, make sure the rules allow late reentry... some might lock you out.. have fun and don't get stupid!
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:05 AM

Hi buckdog05

At 19, you'll be able to get in anywhere in Toronto. I think the main question you'll want to ask yourself is what type of music are you looking for? Hip-hop? Techno? Latin? Alternative? Decade-specific? Something catering to the under 25 set exclusively or mixed? I think an alternative weekly paper like NOW Toronto would be a good place to start to pinpoint options that seem most appealing(www.nowtoronto.com).

Anyhow, my clubbing years are long gone (eyes start drooping at 10:30 LOL), as is true for most who frequent this forum I suspect, but here's hoping you have a good time! I remember enjoying going out in Brussels, Belgium at 18 how much fun it was to get around the US legal drinking age & to be accepted into nightpots.

Best wishes, Daniel

PS Do make an effort to also enjoy some other Toronto-specific things such as the Kensington Market, Chinatown, Bata Shoe Museum... some fun stuff!
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the replies! I think that we are looking for under-25 clubs with pop, hip-hop, rock, or alternative music. Maybe even techno would be fun, who knows?

As far as getting into clubs is concerned, I had the idea that some clubs are "exclusive" like only big-shots can get in or something. Is that not usually the case?

We have Kensington and Chinatown on our schedule, as well as Casa Loma, CN Tower/Rogers Centere, and possibly the Toronto Zoo.

Is Casa Loma any good? What is the shoe museum like?

Thank you!
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:33 AM

Daniel is right - NOW Magazine - free everywhere in newspaper boxes - is the best place to look for what's going on. They have a daily events section and classifieds for all the clubs in the city.

I think there are some clubs where some snotty doorman might turn you away - like Lobby on Bloor Street.

What dates are you here - if it's the weekend of the G20, the CN Tower and Rogers Centre will be off-limits. Where is the hostel?
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:30 AM

Casa Loma is just so-so, in my opinion. I live walking distance from it, and I haven't been in about 20 years!

I concur -- NOW Magazine is the way to go for music gigs and clubs. Queen Street West and Parkdale also have quite a few bars that have music.

Yes please, tell us you're not coming the last weekend of June (G20 summit.)
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

We are coming June 15-21, so I think that we wil avoid the Summit. Thanks for the tips, I will pick up a copy of NOW when we get to the city.

We are staying in the Global Backpacker's Village on King street, hope it's nice.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:20 AM

You are in a great location for access to the Entertainment District and Queen St West.... Skip Casa Loma... its an old people tour...
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM

You'll likely get to see the fence they're putting up by June 21 - not sure if it's to keep the G20 people IN or the rest of us OUT.

I expect the hostel will have copies of NOW and the other alternative weekly, Eye. Agree Global Backpacker's is a handy location (it's also the location of the bar scene in The Last Detail (so my son tells me, he says there are (or were) marks on the bar from something or other - I never saw the film) -

"The Spadina Hotel is a youth hostel located at Spadina Avenue and King West ...

Built in late 1873, the three storey Victorian building features a small clock on the east facade. In the early 1900s it was the Hotel Falconer and shared the corner with another hotel, the Power House Hotel on the southeast corner. Over its history it has been home to many notable residents. In the 1960s and 1970s, it was a centre of the Queen Street West music scene, and saw such visitors as Leonard Cohen and the Rolling Stones. On the second level the Cabana Room was a central venue to the strip. The Jack Nicholson film The Last Detail was also partially filmed at the hotel.

The hotel was renamed the Global Village Backpackers in 1997 ..."

One good thing about Casa Loma is the great view from the terrace.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 06:32 AM

the entertainment district can be rough late night - (especially between adelaide and richmond from duncan to spadina). it's not a big deal, just don't be stupid... the clubs along there are crappy anyway - i try to avoid places with metal detectors at the door as a general rule ;-)

the exception is probably easy & the fifth - cool spot right in that area...

for other (better) places go west of spadina along king and queen - brant house, spice route, devils martini, tattoo rock parlor, ultra supperclub, and others...

skip case loma - it's for old people and it's tired... you'd be bored in about 5 mins...

global village is a great hostel and close to all these places mentioned.