clothing for winter carnival

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are from Boston, Massachusetts and we are planning on going to Winter Carnival. Will typical ski clothing be appropriate? We are planning on staying 2 to 3 nights. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM

I'd say you see some people in ski gear, but also some dress stylishly in a wintry sort of way. The highs were around -20 Celsius when I went, so it may be colder than where you ski, I couldn't say. I would unquestionably recommend being prepared for significantly cold weather with longjohns, a coat geared for Canadian winter, a full scarf, hat, mittens, good winter boots, was layered... warm up in the Infrared and in the indoors areas when possible!

Enjoy! Daniel
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 03:14 AM

Layers are best - bring warm clothing! I spent two weeks in Quebec during Carnival and it was the coldest I have ever experienced. Make sure you bring good outdoor boots as well. Nighttime fun - lots of restaurants and bars to visit - so you can certainly dress in lighter clothes, but if you plan on taking in any outdoor activities, be prepared. As Daniel said, there are lots of indoor areas that serve coffee/hot chocolate. It is a great experience - have fun!
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 06:23 PM

IrishDeb - D_W and Tanya offer excellent advice. I've been to Carnaval 9 times and we've had some bitterly cold days (-40, doesn't matter whether it's Fahrenheit or Celsius at that temp), but also some years near the freezing mark. Fingers and toes need close attention. I don't recommend any type of running shoe - you must have some type of winter boot.

You'll likely want to go out in the evening for there is a great evening bar scene. Have loads of fun.

tC
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM

One of the things I love about Carnival is the Quebecois don't allow the cold to slow them down one bit. I would say the problem with ski clothes is there is a lot of wicking material designed to absorb sweat and you will be spending a lot of time walking so you need plain old layers of insulation. I will second the thought of really good socks and water proof winter boots. Make sure you have something you are comfortable wrapping around your face in the cold and wind. The Quebec are like the European french even wrapped for winter they look like they just walked out of a fashion magazine. We love Carnival and have been back many times so specific suggestions. Just walk around (specially after dark ) and absorb; the music, the food, the ice sculptures. Don't miss the ice slide. M