Reload this Page >

Clothing,Christmas, Lake Louise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:28 AM
Micky

My husband and I and another couple plan to spend a Christmas holiday at Chateau Lake Louise and area. We need to pack for day-time walking about, not ski or snow activities. I'd prefer not to look like the Michelin Man, but want to be warm enough, especially my feet. Would wool coats, with layers of sweaters, quilted vests be enough to keep us warm (over long johns)?<BR> Do we really need those big puffy coats? How do people dress for evening if they are walking from the Chateau to the Post Hotel or Deer Lodge for dinner? I picture myself in a nice dress and muck-lucks, carrying my heels in my pockets! Help!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:39 PM
Lynne

It can get quite cold over Christmas. I would suggest that you keep an eye on the weather forecasts for the area before you go using www.weatheroffice.com, which is Environment Canada's website and includes five day forecasts.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:14 AM
x

layers is a good idea if you are hiking. Regarding your comment about looking like a "Micheline Man", should it be cold enough to want the heavy coats, you won't care what you look like as long as your not getting frostbite. you'll need a good pair of boots. if i recall correctly, the chateau hotel is up at the lake and the post hotel is down the hill (not within walking distance). i'd never stay at the chateau - too isolated from other restaurants etc.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:43 PM
Jill

Went there for XMAS for the first time a few years ago -- it was 35 below. Your image of a nice dress and mucklucks is probably not too realistic. When the cold air hits your lungs, you need to be prepared -- it's like nothing you've ever felt. <BR><BR>FYI, for hikes, I wore 3-4 layers of gloves plus charcoal warmers, 3-4 layers of socks plus boot warmers, 2 hats, 4 layers on bottom and 4 layers on top, including a shell.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
lolly

The Chateau Lake Louise is awesome at Christmas, especially at night. If you aren't staying there, go over for a visit to check it out. <BR><BR>I remember wearing a parka over my wedding dress, and really goofy looking boots, between church and the reception hall.(got hitched in january) It wasn't very fashionable but hey, that's Canada in the winter.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:15 AM
Micky

Thanks everyone for your input regarding clothing for Lake Louise area. This may seem silly to ask, but...if one may need 3-4 layers of socks then maybe I should buy boots a size or more larger than normal. I remember trading up each day on boot size and adding more socks when I rented gear for snow mobiling at Yellowstone in November and I never did get warm feet!<BR> Lolly, your bridal ensemble sounds very fetching. It could have been worse. My inlaws came on our honey moon. Now that IS chilling!<BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Lynne

The boots and clothing will depend on how much you plan to be outdoors and what you are planning to do. If it is -35 Celsius, you probably won't want to go for a long hike or anything. I recommend Sorel boots for the cold. We live in Alberta and that's what I wear in the winter for snowmobiling and trudging through the snow. I usually wear two pairs of socks if we are going to be out for a long time - a regular weigth cotton pair with a thick "wooly" pair over top.<BR>We too got married in the winter (February), and all the bridesmaids brought their Sorels to wear from to and from the church, but it wound up being +1 and melting that day! <BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Susan

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "sorel boot"? I am Australian and I have never heard of them.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Robyn

I think they're a brand of boot, possibly a Canadian company. Although I'm Canadian, I've never needed those kinds of boots (with Vancouver's mild winter climate, etc) so I'm definitely not an expert, but everyone who lives in regions where the winter temperatures average around 10 below... all I hear from them is how these "Sorels" are a must-have.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 05:15 PM
coldasice

http://www.reviewshoes.com/brands/sorel_shoes.asp<BR><BR>For info on Sorels.....

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Lynne

Sorry about the Sorel confusion! Sorel is a brand of winter boots available in Canada through most shoe stores, Sears, etc. Most are rated to around -45 degrees Celsius and the traditional style has a removable liner which allows you to dry out your boots over night. They are quite comfortable and are available in a variety of styles.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Judy

I think a lot of these people are joshing you - Canadian Style! Unless you're doing outdoor activities like skiing or hiking, a regular winter coat, boots, gloves and hat will do fine for walking around! I was raised in Flin Flon, Manitoba - now that's cold! These Albertans don't know what cold is!