Cheapest place in Canada to fly into

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Atlanta. What is the cheapest place to fly into in Canada this summer 2008?

We have a family of 6 (children ages 4-14). We've never been to Canada.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:43 AM

First off, what do you want to see in Canada? Mountains, big cities, prairies, costal regions? I suggest you do some research first to find out what area of Canada you want to visit and then go on the airline websites (or Expedia/Travelocity) to find out prices on flights.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 07:17 AM

The cheapest place to fly into canada is actually Buffalo... Its only 25 minutes from Niagara Falls and the savings in airfare may even pay for your rental car... plus you can see the falls, Toronto, and drive around Ontario...
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 07:40 AM

Buffalo is cheaper than Toronto, if your aim is to see Niagara Falls and the Toronto area. If you want to see mountains or the ocean, they are both a long ways from either, and flying to either city won't help you much. In area, the Province of Ontario alone (of which Toronto is the capital)is more than half again as large as Texas.

What are you and your family interested in seeing or doing?
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM

According to Expedia, the following are the flight costs for one person.

Atlanta to Calgary (big city & mountains) is $516.
Atlanta to Toronto (big city)is $652.
Atlanta to Vancouver (west coast) is $949
Atlanta to Halifax (east coast) is $476.

So to take your question literally, Halifax is the cheapest.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I have read a little on Fodors sight about seeing the Whales and iceburgs in Newfoundland. I also like the idea of visiting Quebec. We'll have about a week in late June/early July. I don't mind driving a little bit. Wonder if we could fly into Buffalo, and then drive to Quebec and Newfoundland. My children would love to see whales/iceburgs and visit a French town. Just looking for things that would be new to an American. We just want to experience the culture and see some new things. No plays, movies, etc.., but an outdoor concert might be nice.

We'd vacation for about 1 week (possibly a couple extra days), breaking it up w/a few days in each place. Don't want to switch hotels every day or every other day though (there's 6 of us).

We probably wouldn't want to drive for hours just to see mountains, prairies, coastal regions, unless there was something else to see once we got there (remember the ages of my children). Can you tell I have no idea... We also like seeing a local festival every once in awhile if it works out. That's always lots of fun. We like to be outside.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM

That's a heck of a lot of driving - Buffalo to Quebec to Newfoundland (via car ferry).
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Hi kippy6,

Flying into Buffalo is not the way to see Quebec and Newfoundland with four kids--if you want to keep your sanity. Just for laughs I plugged Buffalo to St. John's into MapQuest and it comes out at 37 hours and 43 minutes driving time (plus ferry crossing) one way. For Newfoundland look for flights to St. John's, or take Cruiseryyc's suggestion and fly into Halifax.

Flying into Buffalo is only good for laverendrye's suggestion that you stay in Ontario.

If flights into Montreal are too expensive, perhaps you can find a cheaper flight to Plattsburgh, NY or Burlington, VT.

JQ
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I honestly don't see that it's possible to do that kind of trip in a week. Kippy, do you have any idea of the distances you're planning to travel?

When I clicked on your name, I found a number of posts where you were asking about possible vacation destinations (the Caribbean, etc.). I can empathize - I've always got more ideas than I've got time and money! But you have to narrow this down a bit if you want to enjoy your time in Canada.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Kippy, the distances you are talking about are huge. Not really possible for a one week vacation.

You really need to do some research to see exactly where you want to go and then check out the airfares to that area.

Your idea is sort of like someone flying into Detroit to drive to Maine. Just to far.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM

Montreal would be a good place to fly into. In June and July they have a lot of festivals: "Just for laughs" festival, "Jazz" festival, etc. It is a French place but you can speak English anywhere. There is 'La Ronde' an amusement park, 'The Old Port' where you can walk around, visit the boutiques or take a day or evening cruise on the Saint-Laurence River. You can drive to Quebec City (2 hours)where it looks more European.

Try this link. It's in English.

www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/

Hope that's help you.

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

We were interested in Caribbean, and researched PR and CR for at least a year, however, we are not comfortable with the Dengue risk.

I'm a creative vacation planner. Someone asked what we'd like to see. I just mentioned the Quebec and whales/iceburgs b/c that peaked our interest. We are open to suggestions... "Just looking for things that would be new to an American. We just want to experience the culture and see some new things." Any ideas?

I'm trying to find a way to make 7-9 days in Canada work. Yes 37 hours is way too much driving time!! I could fly from either Atlanta or Chicago to St. Johns or Halifax. Might be a little cheaper from Chicago (see my previous post). Thanks for the Plattsburgh, NY or Burlington, VT suggestions. This gives me a good many airports to check.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you whiteowlmtlca - I didn't see your post earlier. I will check into Montreal as well. I tried the link a few times, but it didn't work. The festivals sound interesting!!
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 04:54 AM

If you check out the Quebec tourism site already provided, you will see that you can do whale watching as part of your holiday.

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/ca-en/baleines0.html
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks -- I think I need to do much more research on these areas!
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Well, I also don't think it's posible to do Buffalo to Quebec to Newfoundland in a week (and even 2 weeks would be lots of driving and whirlwind tour).

Also - if you're looking for a change in "culture", well - Toronto is known as a "multicultural" city with lots of interesting ethnic neighbourhoods. But otherwise, it looks a lot like most big American Cities - freeways, suburbs, a downtown full of modern skyscrapers, mostly the same chain stores, etc. But Montreal and Quebec City might off you a bit more of a change with the French Culture. Montreal has enough to do to keep you busy for a few days, Quebec City features the old "Walled City" section - a preserved 17th century fortress-town with winding cobblestone streets, lined with cafes, art shops etc. For whale watching - investigate the Saguenay Marine Park - about 2 hours up the St. Lawrence River from Quebec City and famous for whale watching. This you might be able to fit into a week, and you would certainly get a taste of something a little different.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM

For heaven's sake, do all you can to fly to a U.S. location near the border and then DRIVE into Canada (far less hassle and far less expense).

You have unique freedom to select any airport which offers the best airfare/car-rental-cost combo for your budget. In this day and age you need to consider the price of GAS in that equation as well.

Some cities you could consider for flying:

Buffalo
Boston
Portland, Maine
Albany
Detroit

Obviously the possibilities are endless, but I stuck with the northeast.

Be sure your documentation is in order for EVERYONE... that includes birth certificates for ALL of the kids, and yourselves. (if you FLY INTO CANADA... you need a PASSPORT for everyone ~ for driving in, birth certificates and photo ID will suffice for the time being).

My best vibe for you (IF the airfares to Portland, Maine are competitive) would be to fly there, and then possibly drive west as far as Montreal before driving up the St. Lawrence River toward Quebec City. If you find yourself with more time then a further drive up the St. Lawrence (switch sides at Quebec City) and 'around' Maine (staying in Canada, I mean) and down into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia if time allows.

With SIX people flying, you should probably let airfares dictate to which initial U.S. destination you fly. Then improvise your actual trip once you have yourself firmed-up with airfare & car rental reservations.

The kids will love the uniquenesses they will see when walking around Montreal and Quebec City. In Montreal english-only speakers won't have much trouble interacting with society as lots of people there speak english. The French signage all over is 'free entertainment' for all ages. In Quebec City and elsewhere in the province, you may well struggle at times to find an english-speaker when you really want one. Yet I doubt that any great troubles will arise from that factor.

At any rate, the groundwork you lay prior to your departure will probably make or break your vacation. Now is the time to dot all of your I's so that the family will be deeply impressed during the trip.

Good luck!

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

I read from an old post that many people fly to Halifax, rent a car, and "drive in a circle in what we call The Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island) and return to Halifax. Fly home." This sounds good, except we'd like to spend some time in Quebec City, and see Saguenay Marine Park

1. Can we see whales and iceburgs around June 13 -- airfare sale stops on June 14?
2. Where can I find a list of itineraries to choose from? I don't know if adding Quebec City for a couple of days is overzealous. We can spend 7-9 days on vacation.

I found via travelocity:
$387 RT from Atlanta to Halifax, NS.
$333.75 RT ATL to Quebec City
One-way rates are approx 1/2 the RT amount.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 06:20 PM

kippy wrote:

I read from an old post that many people fly to Halifax, rent a car, and "drive in a circle in what we call The Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island) and return to Halifax. Fly home." This sounds good, except we'd like to spend some time in Quebec City, and see Saguenay Marine Park

Kippy, you really need to start doing some research - starting with a MAP!! With four kids, I would suggest you fly to Nova Scotia and holiday there for a week. Or fly to Charlottetown, PEI, rent a seaside cottage, stay there, and take day trips to various attractions ("Anne of Green Gables", among others). Or fly to Montreal, visit there and Quebec City.

The distances you are looking at are just *way* too much to consider within a week, especially with four kids! It's no fun for kids to spend their vacation sitting in a car.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Hi Kippy,

Ok....the advice you're getting is spot on, Quebec and the Maritimes in 7-9 days with 4 kids is way too much.

If you really want to see Quebec, and a French speaking town fly into Quebec City and head first to Montreal (either via car or train approx. 3hrs) enjoy Montreal for a few days, it's amazing in June and has tons to keep you busy.

After a few days in Montreal, head back to Quebec city and enjoy that city, rent a car do some driving and enjoy the surrounding areas as well.

That's WAY more than enough for your 7-9 days and guarantees you an action packed family holiday!

Good luck!

Layla

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -