changing planes in Toronto early March

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing planes in Toronto early March

I am traveling to Buenos Aires from Atlanta the first week of March. I have miles to use, but the downside to using these miles is I either have to choose the itinerary of traveling Atlanta-Toronto-Buenos Aires OR Atl-Charlotte-Dulles-Buenos Aires, all of which can present problems. Of course I'd rather only have one plane change, but is it risky flying to Toronto in March?? The layover is nine hours.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Winter can always be a bit of a risk. But in reality there are very few days over the winter that cause a problem. It will be cold, but the runways are kept clear.

Seems a round about way to get to BsAs, but one less plane change would have my vote too.

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
BAK

I'd balance the one-fewer-plane change against the additional customs clearance.

Other than that, a nine hour layover should provide enough time for clearing runways and de-icing planes, if necessary.

And March is a long month -- in like a lion and out like a lamb, in Canadian Meterological Terminology (and then there's April Showers Bring May Flowers)

Regardless... thousands of people get on and off planes in Toronto in March, heading to our returning from warmer weather, or just going anywhere else in the world. It's pretty safe.

BAK
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
BAK

Obviously I mssed reading early March in the headline.

So, the risk is greater, but still not awful, considering the layover time.

Just remember the foreign country stuff.

BAK
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Oh my, that seems so crazy. We just flew Toronto-Atlanta- Buenos Aires. The day we left Toronto, Jan 28 there was a big storm brewing but the flight left on time with no issues. They have great de-icing there if it is cold. With the winter we have had this year, I can almost bet an early spring should happen.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM

I am not sure what you mean by risky? Do you mean with the planes and de icing? I live in Toronto and have travelled a lot. For one, our airport is not half as busy as some of the major cities in the US. Also, this is something we deal with on a regular basis so, trust me they know what their doing up at the airport for the most part. We have not had any issues that I can think of. The only one that comes to mind was about 4 yrs ago when an air france plane slid off the runway, but that was in the SUMMER when it was 30 celsius. I would not be concerned about this..