Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buffalo to Toronto - for a day trip . . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:55 AM
SLHogan

is it doable? I'll be up in Buffalo during a long weekend in March and have the Friday free. I've visited the Falls before so I thought about driving to Toronto. I've never visited the city before and have heard it's really cool. How long does it take? I saw a really old post and the person said it took 2 1/2 hours - not bad at all. Is this timing correct?

Also, if there are other alternatives that would get me to Toronto quicker, please pass those along.

Thanks!

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could take as little as 2 hours, depending which part of Buffalo you're in, if you avoid rush-hour traffic and if the line-up at Customs isn't too bad. Lately it hasn't been that bad. Make sure you have appropriate ID (a passport is best, but a birth certificate and driver's licence will do). We find that the quickest place to cross is at Queenston/Lewiston, but that may not be convenient to the part of Buffalo that you're in. There's really only one main highway that will take you quickly into Toronto, but you can access it from various points.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Meesthare, you beat me to the punch! SLHogan, as Meesthare says, I think 2 hours is more like it, so it is very doable. If you are near the Fort Erie crossing, then cross there and follow the QEW right into Toronto. Or you can take I-190 NOrth right to the Queenston Lewiston Bridge and cross there. Then follow 405 to QEW and right on to Toronto. Most of the time, the line ups are not as long at Queenston.
Avoid, at all costs, trying to arrive in Toronto before 10 am. From about 7 to 9 am, it will be stop and go from Burlington into Toronto. Then avoid the return trip from 3pm to 6 or 7 pm. But if you plan to arrive at 10 am or so, you'll have a good long day if you wait til after 7 to head back.
Enjoy.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:19 PM
wow

Hi,SLHogan! Kodi knows what she's(?) talking about! Keep w/in those time frames & you will be fine. Also remember that March 15-19 is March Break/Spring Break in Niagara(Canada) & @ some schools in Toronto. So March 12, 13 & 14 & March 19, 20 & 21 will be busy travel weekends.
I always cross @ the Peace Bridge. From the Peace Bridge to St. Catharines takes about 30 minutes. Then from St. Catharines to Toronto is about 1 hour & 15 minutes. And, as Meesthare has said, a passport is best if you have one. You need photo Id.
Enjoy Toronto!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:12 AM
SLHogan

Thank you for the responses. I'll print them off and take with me. I'm looking forward to hanging out in Toronto.

Cheers!

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:38 PM

As everyone else mentioned, it all depends on the time of day, bridge traffic, etc. My last trip to Toronto from Buffalo took 1 hour, 15 minutes. However, there was NO traffic on the Peace Bridge and we didn't arrive in Toronto during rush hour. However, you have two other options.....taking the Amtrak or Greyhound from downtown Buffalo to Toronto. There was an article in the travel section of the Buffalo News today about taking the train to Toronto (www.buffalonews.com). It mentioned that you should check out Amtrak and VIA, which is the Canadian version of Amtrak. I think it mentioned that mornings are via Amtrak and evenings by VIA. Good luck!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 02:57 AM

I have another suggestion. Driving in and out of TO is becoming increasingly tedious and frustrating so we generally take the GO train from Oakville. The GO station is only a few minutes south of the QEW at the Trafalgar Rd. exit, parking is free, and generally adequate, although as someone mentioned March 15-19 may be a bit more congested due to Spring Break.

Fare to Union Station (TO) is $10.60 cdn return. During non-rush hour periods trains leave eastbound to Union every hour on the half hour and return westbound every hour at 20 to the hour. It's a relaxing way of getting into the heart of the city where you can access the subway system or just walk to your heart's content. Check out The Path if weather isn't great. Day parking in TO is expensive (approx. $20+ unless you can find a flat rate lot) and this can be challenging to the uninitiated!

There are trains from Burlington, but the schedule is spottier than Oakville and a bus transfer may be required. Parking at the Burl station could be easier, so you may want to check the link to GO transit below. For Burlington station you exit at Fairview or Brant St.

GO Transit site:
http://tinyurl.com/rmra

TTC (subway) site with other good TO links:
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/

The Path:
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/path/
Happy explorations!