Ceilidh Trail

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceilidh Trail

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for Nova Scotia/Cape Breton next spring (May 2007) and are particularly interested in driving and exploring the Ceilidh Trail. We're curious about places to stay along the way that will provide opportunities for music and entertainment. Any memorable B&B, cottage, etc that you would suggest?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Meg,

I was interested in this trail also, but we could never really find what/where it was! We even stopped and asked about it, but this person didn't know what we were talking about. I found it very odd as it's pretty well advertised.

We really enjoyed Cape Breton!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:00 AM

just in case you're crossing wires and it is really the "Cabot Trail" that you're interested in, I thought I'd throw that out here.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Northwest Male,

I probably should have said I loved the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton!

We never did find the Ceilidh Trail...
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Hello
we just returned from N.S. The Ceilidh Trail is actually the beginning of the Cabot Trail. Both are spectacular. Access them after crossing the causeway.
You won't regret it at all. We did not stay there so I cannot help you with accommodations, but be sure to stop at the scare crow display and take you camera. It is very unique.
Have a great trip.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:18 AM

oops i should have told you it is on the western side of the approach to the Cabot Trail. If the sea is on your left, you are going the right way for the Ceilidh Trail.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:26 AM

We just got back and stayed at the Dunlop House in Beddeck - which is owned by the Telegraph Inn.

THe house is great - comfortable and clean, right in town and on the water. You can sit out back and watch the boats/lighthouse/bald eagles and walk to dinner. Lots of places have live music and the church has live music every night during the summer.

One note - I think the bugs (black flies) are really bad in May and that is a little early for many tourist up there so it may not be as active with music and such. Maybe someone who has been there in May can help you with those thoughts.

Enjoy your wedding!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Hi, Guys, The trail you are refuring to is not the stsrt of the cabot trail its a separte trail which is approx 60 kms long and starts in Prot hawksbury and goes up to the Cabot trail in Margaree Valley. But other wise everything else is correct. Yes the trail is well known but not really well travelled. Its beautiful non the less.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:10 AM

We drove the Ceilidh Trail end of June, leaving Halifax on a Sunday morning and stopping at the NS tourism office on Cape Breton just after the causeway. As posters above have said, you need to fork left (westwards) at the entrance to Cape Breton to enter the Ceilidh Trail. There are signs along the road to indicate you are on the Trail.

The NS tourism recommended McLeod Lodge, just north of Inverness as a good B&B; we liked it so much we stayed a second night. The local girl doing housekeeping at the Lodge was a mine of information about 'what's on' and 'where it's at' for all activities - go there if you want inside info on entertainment with a Gaelic flare and she will put you in the picture. BTW - McLeod Lodge was the best B&B we stopped at during our 2-week tour of Nova Scotia.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
wow

Congratulations MegVanH to you & your fiance! NS/CB is an excellent choice for a honeymoon...but not in May. It is still quite chilly at that time of year & most of the tourist attractions are not open. Could you possibly bump your trip up to mid-July which is "prime time"?
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:16 AM
LJ

For more information on the Ceilidh Trail specifically, and Nova Scotia generally, check out the website www.destination-ns.com and get the Doer's and Dreamer's Guide, a wonderful resource.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow! It's been so long since I've been back to this site to check on responses. I did go to Nova Scotia on my honeymoon in May 2007! We had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back. We concentrated our exploring on Cape Breton- but there are a lot more places we need to see. I definitely recommend attending a square dance in West Mabou- it was incredible. And we enjoyed going in May. It was cooler, but not terrible--still able to wear crop pants and flip-flops! We enjoyed not having to deal with crowds as well.