Reload this Page >

Carmen's..it DOES exist??!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 12:18 PM
kelly

Help! <BR>My boyfriend and I spent a wonderful 4 days in Toronto and dined at a restaurant called Carmen's...really old school, dark and cavernous like a mansion...lovely older gentlemen waiters...AMAZING food! We stayed at the Delta Chelsea and it was in walking distance. I plan to send my folks to Toronto for their anniversary in June and I wanted to buy a gift certificate for Carmen's for them. The problem is that I can't find the restaurant listed ANYWHERE! <BR> <BR>Am I imagining this place? <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 12:22 PM
Christy

Hi Kelly - I've actually never heard of Carmen's...I went to school for a year in a building right next door to the Delta Chelsea so I'm quite familiar with that area. I did a search on www.toronto.com and www.canada411.com and can't find any mention of it. Sorry!

Old May 1st, 2001, 03:02 PM
ellie

Could you be thinking of Carman's at 26 Alexander Street? - a steakhouse, just as you described. It's a couple of blocks north of College, just east of Yonge.

Old May 1st, 2001, 06:42 PM
B

416-924-8697 is the phone number. <BR> <BR>CarmAn is the spelling trick. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:23 AM
cindy

It is a neat place if you like steak. Years ago it was considered a "private club" for some reason (I think it had something to do with Ontario's then antiquated liquor laws, which are now more sensible)and was known as "Carman's Club." The way you got a "membership" was by filling in a card at the door when you arrived. It didn't cost anything and was good forever. Eventually they got rid of that procedure. I was there a couple of years ago with a steak-loving pal for his birthday dinner, and we both enjoyed our meal very much - and I'm a vegan!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 08:36 AM
Kelly

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! <BR>I just knew it hadn't been a figment of my imagination! Alexander St is ringing bells. I appreciate all of your help! <BR> <BR>PS--I'm a vegetarian! I ate a lot of olives and cottage cheese and bread--but man did my carnivore boyfriend love it. The atmosphere was well worth the trip..Carman and Sammy Davis, Jr...Carman and Frank Sinatra...what a hoot! Thanks again <BR>

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:00 PM
brian

I've enjoyed Carman's very much over the years. It's a great place for a special occasion of any sort. It does have a pleasant old world decor, and certainly makes a great steak. I live on Alexander St. so I've often walked by the place. Just a few steps east of yonge st. <BR> <BR>

Old May 8th, 2001, 09:36 AM
LJ

My aunt and uncle met at Carman's in the 50's and decided to have their wedding reception there when they got married. I have a picture of myself in a green velvet junior bridesmaid's dress dated 1959 and I was in Carman's recently and recognized the decor from the pic...some things don't change.