Car Rental in Alberta

Aug 31st, 2009, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Car Rental in Alberta

I would appreciate recommendation for car rental company for drive from Calgary airport to Calgary city , Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Edmonton, and back to Calgary.
Will be in Canada for 12 days.

Thanks.
Aug 31st, 2009, 11:34 AM

It is always best to do an expedia.ca search for the time you are in Alberta. Discounts are given for different reasons so do a web search for available discount coupons or codes. Remember if you can get an add-on(rider) to your own automobile insurance that covers a rental car you can also save some money. Certain credit cards will also allow you to say no to the extra insurance. Don't purchase anything extra when you go to pick up the car. Gas stations are right near the airport so you can just top up before you return the car. Book ahead as far as possible as rates do go up closer to departure.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM

I always do a search on www.kayak.com and use www.carrentals.com. Last year we ended up renting from Dollar. We had a minivan for $156/week. We paid $70 for the extra driver. There were 6 of us in the car and there was room for all of us to sit comfortably and stow our luggage. I had actually rented 2 full size cars at $156/wk. They offered us the minivan at that rate. We told him if we could try it first and our luggage fir, we would take it. I would never have thought that 6 adults and all our luggage woudl have fit. I would rent from Dollar again. Our World Mastercard includes the additional insurance.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM

We just returned from ten days in Jasper/Banff. We found that due to all of the fees associated with an on-airport rental, we could save about $200 (including the $40 we paid for a cab) by renting in Calgary instead of at the airport - our rental was through Avis and we paid $250 for ten days for an intermediate car. I used codes from our BJs membership (east coast Costco-like store) to get discounts.
Sep 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

candaceb-Did the $250 include taxes, etc.? Did you return the car in Calgary?
Thanks
Sep 11th, 2009, 07:44 AM

I have always been impressed with Budget, which i use all the time. You soemtimes get a good rate on expedia, but I find the best way is to book through the website directly. The earlier you can book, the better.
Dont know when you are going, but be aware that i the summer there wont be many great deals to be had.
Good luck
Sep 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM

sorry for the delayed response - I forgot to check back.
We returned the car at the Calgary airport (they charged $15 for a "one way" rental). The $250 was inclusive of all taxes and fees.