car break-ins Banff/Jasper?

Aug 10th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

car break-ins Banff/Jasper?

Just read eenusa's wonderful report. Concerned about the car break-ins at Peyto Lake mentioned in the report. Know it's always an issue in tourist spots and know it's not wise to leave valuables, i.e. laptop, meds,in the car. (I always take my fannypack/purse with me).But, sometimes one has no choice when between hotel destinations. Is it a major problem at Peyto Lake and other parking lots in the area and should DH and I take turns walking off to the attractions out of sight of the pkng lots?

isy
Aug 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM

No, it is not enough of a problem to warrant taking it in turns to walk to a scenic lookout point.

Keep your luggage in the locked trunk of your vehicle.

Do not leave stuff lying on the seats, where a person looking through the windows would see the items.

Carry with you your valuable papers and money (passports, credit cards, drivers' licences, cash). Also carry with you your camera(s).
Aug 11th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Can't do that in an SUV. Maybe we'll rethink our rental.

isy
Aug 11th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Did not intend to scare anybody with my posting re: the car break-ins. Rather, it's a reminder that we should always be careful and use common sense in what we do, something people sometimes forget to do when on vacation.

Re: SUV. Our SUV has a cover that can be pulled over the top of the luggage compartment to keep things out of view. (The Dodge Caliber we rented was a hatchback, not an SUV, but it had a similar cover.) You might want to check with your rental company to see if this feature exists on the SUV you're planning to rent.
Aug 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Irishswampyankee, as eenua said, you probably can get a cover for the luggage area of your SUV. But I don't consider an SUV to be necesary anyway. The mountain national parks have good paved roads. We don't have an SUV, and our ordinary vehicle serves us very well in the mountains.
Aug 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
fae

Just returned from the Canadian Rockies. We had a large Chrysler 300 with tons of leg room. It was an upgrade that Enterprise offered us for no charge. I would advise against the SUV so that you can have a car with a truck. We always locked everything in the trunk and carried backpack with passports with us. If you are changing hotels a few times like we did, some days we would have everything in the truck until we checked in - so a large truck is more of a priority than an SUV. Plus the car we had had MUCH more room than most SUVs (and we own a large SUV).

However, my husband did observe 2 males he felt where up to no good in the LL parking lot. He had gone back to the car to do something and the 2 he saw obviously did not fit the mode of tourist - no packbacks, no cameras, etc. He saw them looking in car windows, etc. He keep watching them until they saw him and then they realized he had caught on to them, and they left the parking lot and headed down the road.

I thought we should tell someone but in all the eight days we were at the parks we never saw a park ranger. Very different than say Yellowstone, etc.

Anyway, we never spent any time worry over it - we just never left anything in the passenger area of the car. I think they just look for easy targets.

Someone mentioned locking the glove compartment so the thieves could not get to your trunk release button. However, most cars nowdays have the trunk release button where is cannot be locked. I think breaking the window to open the truck is beyond what these thieves are going to do.
Aug 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
fae

Sorry - in the above post truck should be trunk.
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM

irishswampyankee:

I drive an old Camry SW that came with a luggage cover like a window blind.

I never use it. It is resting in my garage until I dispose of my car.

Reason? Well if I were interested in breaking into a vehicle and saw a luggage cover, that would say to me, "Something is hiding there and it must be worth the effort to hide! So maybe that is where I should look."

Instead, if I have something not too big, I can lift the floor there and place it next to my spare tire.

Now when my car is looked into, it is empty.

Hope this is of help.

Woodie
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Our problem is that DH is 6'5" and has back problems. SUV's are more comfy for him bcs he sits up high and legs aren't straight out in front and we will be in this car for 4 wks. through 4 states and 2 provinces. But, given concern about bad guys, he actually went to some car dealers and drove several large sedans (actually, I think he had fun!) and found a very large one that was comfortable for him. We called Hertz, explained about his issues and one will be waiting for us at the airport. We are relieved.

Fodorites are great! We leave in 6 days. Will be keeping a journal the old fashioned way (handwritten)and will pick some things to post when we return.

isy

Search this Thread