Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can't speak French-Will I have fun in Montreal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been to 3 other provinces and see everything in Eng. & French, I am thinking that it will be the same in Que. Right?

Will the residents be able to understand me?

What do you think of the Springhill Suites Old Montreal ?

Thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:59 AM

A lot of resedents of Montreal are English...you shouldn't have too many problems.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 05:34 AM

I speak French but I have to say when we visit Montreal I rarely ever do. My husband doesnt speak it and has never had any problems. Expecially if you are staying in the downtown area, you will find all the hotel employees are bilingual, as are most of the staff at restaurants etc. I would say that out of the whole province, Montreal is definitely the city that you should have the least worries. There are pockets that are definitely more French and those that are more English, but on the whole, you will make out just fine.
Enjoy your visit!
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Andree

Hi maryann, hope you found a fishing spot in BC back in September...remember? !! Nobody should worry about language...otherwise, nobody would travel the world! You'll be fine in MTL.

Hi Sherry, I'm in Ottawa too! You'll never want to come back from the Rockies...have a good trip

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Hey Andree, I was going to post that I never did fish on my trip- I was so busy with my head up - looking at the scenery!!!

This area is a place you don't even want to take away a fish - let them die of old age !!

The altitude and early rising, and , so much to enjoy, just made seeking out a fishing spot sound like work. When we go back, we'll spend more time AND then fish.

We have been all over the US Rockies and on this trip saw the mtn. range all the way thru Mexico, The Icefields Pkwy. are the best.

Keep in touch, Andree and give me some help in Que., I'm a FISH out of water there, lol.

We will be in Mtl, to take a cruise with a couple of days before to see the sights.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 08:47 AM

I was there in September, and there was no need to speak French in Montreal. Smaller towns, you may come across french only.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Andree

Hey Maryann! Nice to hear from you. Looks like you're travelling all over Canada these days..! When will you be in MTL and for how long? Ever been to Quebec City? (my hometown!) THat would be a nice place to visit if you have the time. Will be happy to help.

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Merci to all (I do know 1 French word) for your help. I'll try to learn the basic phrases before I go, just in case, DH speaks some French (suspect they are mostly bad words, lol). Just want to read the road signs, etc.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Andree - You were posting when I was -great minds think alike !

I was Canada-deprived until 5 yrs ago when we we stayed on the Can. side of Niagra Falls and we had a great time.

Then this year to Alberta/BC- the best (so far ) Now we are taking a cruise from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale (near home) in Oct. '04, so I'm northbound again.

We are driving to Montreal and the first stop on the cruise will be Quebec City. So, I'll be checking out both places Montreal for 2 days and Q. C. for just one.

We drove to Vancouver - so driving to Montreal will be nothing.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM

No need to speak French. Almost everyone is bilingual. Satyed at ST. Sulpice. I have never had such wonderful service and found a hotel where every single person was polite and helpful and actually seemed to love their job. It is in the old section and a good location. Enjoy.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Andree

Maryann, sounds like fun! I did even know there were cruises between MTL and FLA. You'll have to come back in the winter to ski at Mont-Tremblant..!

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Hey, yes, Princess has one Oct. 31, for 13 days (the one we are on ) and Holland America on May 9th, both are in '04, the other ships stop in NY or Boston and go to Europe.

If I was a Que. resident and wanted to go to Fl. for the winter, I would have a company haul the car and take the ship!

Skiing is not in my vocabulary-afraid of heights! I would go there the other 3 seasons of the year !
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:37 PM

We love tremblant and go skiing there every year. On the way back we always spend a night in Montreal and visit an incredible bistro names L'Express - if in Montreal, look it up and enjoy
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Mmmmmmm I wish I could go to L'Express tonight! What a good bistro indeed!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:04 AM

On my trip to Montreal, I never encountered the mythical francophone store clerks who look down on you for not speaking French. Everyone was friendly.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again-I'm keeping all your ideas for hotel and restaurants.

I've been looking a other sites and one said Gibby's was a good rest., too. and what about Springhill Suites Old Montreal ? would like to use my points if I can.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:49 AM

It's nice to learn a few phrases to be polite, however, I speak French a bit and any time I have been in Montreal and tried to speak it, they respond in English. Less so in Quebec City, but not because they are trying to be mean, just that it is less likely that they speak English. I found people really nice in both places. It was fun ordering vietnamese food from a french menu though! The translations are lost in English!