Canadian Rockies Itinerary Question

Jun 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Canadian Rockies Itinerary Question

We have 7 nights in the Canadian Rockies in August. Family of 5. We will spend the last night at the airport, so we have 6 nights to divide up. I am considering the following 2 options, and I would appreciate any opinions about which of the two makes more sense:

Option 1
2 nights Lake Louise (Baker Creek)
2 nights Jasper (Grove at Patricia Lake Bungalows)
2 nights Banff (Banff Springs Hotel)

Option 2
4 nights Banff (Banff Springs Hotel)
2 nights Jasper (Jasper Park Bungalows)

Thanks for any feedback.
Jun 18th, 2012, 01:57 AM

I vote for option 2.Banff is near lake louise.Paul
Jun 18th, 2012, 04:19 AM

We have done a similar trip. We did 3 nts Lake Louise, 2 nts Jasper and 1 nt Banff. http://www.fodors.com/community/cana...-report.cfm?21

I like option 1. I like to take time driving the Icefields Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper and I like driving it up and back. I am thinking that you are only going to drive the Parkway once with option 2.

Even though Lake Louise has no town, it is closer to Emerald Lake, Moraine Lake, and the hiking we like. Your children would enjoy Banff--it's a nice ski town but can be busy in Aug.

We have stayed at several of the lodgings that you mention here. In Lake Louise, I like Baker Creek and also like Paradise Lodge. Paradise Lodge has a very nice continental breakfast that would be a savings for you.

We stayed at the cheaper lodging at Patricia Lake and even enjoyed those--basic but clean. The Grove looks really nice.
Jun 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We are driving the Icefields Parkway in both directions regardless of whether we do option #1 or #2. Linda, does that change your opinion? Great trip report, btw. We are excited.
Jun 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM

I don't think I would want to drive from Jasper to Calgary in one day, so I would plan to stay in Banff/LLouise for at least one night.

How early is your flight? Can you spend the last night in Banff?
Jun 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Flight is at 10:15. It's a domestic flight so we only need an hour to check in. Thoughts? Much appreciated.
Jun 20th, 2012, 08:09 AM

I would also stay near the airport the night before your flight. We fly to the US so we need to check in 2 hours ahead, but with a family, I would just stay near the airport.

I would spend the day in the Banff/Lake Louise area and then drive to Calgary, drop your family at the hotel, drop your car off at the airport (if that saves you some money) and take the hotel shuttle to your hotel. You can take the hotel shuttle the next morning to the airport. Just make sure that the hotel you book, has a shuttle.
Jun 20th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Great advice. Thanks.