Canadian Rockies in June

Search

Canadian Rockies in June

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Rockies in June

My husband and I are planning to visit Canada during the middle of June. How is the weather at this time? This is the only time we are able to come and I would like to know the sort of activities we are able to do? Too warm for skiing? Too cold for horseback riding, canoe rides, etc?

Also how are the Yoho, Kootenay, Glacier and Mount Revelstoke parks? If we have 7 days/6 nights are these places worth seeing in addition to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper?

I appreciate any insight!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:51 PM

All are worth seeing, except I rank Revelstoke last. Most of the lakes from 5,000 feet up will still be frozen. Trails above 5,500 were dangerous last year in shady spots because of ice.

You will get your money's worth. Just stay lower and all will be splendid.

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Hello Marlena777,

I provided a suggested 7 day / 6 night itinerary to another poster in this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34565625

Middle of June should be okay for horseback riding and canoeing.

I guessed what your travel dates might be and ran them through the Weather Underground website's Trip Planner feature for Banff. The dates I guessed were June 12th - 18th.

Over the last four years the daily high has averaged 61 deg F and the daily low has averaged 38 deg F. However, the highest high has been 81 deg F and the lowest low has been 28 deg F.

If I were you I would bring hiking boots and thick socks as well as a sturdy pair of sandals (Teva or similar). I would bring a couple of short sleeved T-shirts and a pair of shorts (the shorts could take the form of pants with zip-on / zip-off legs).

For the cooler end of the spectrum I would bring long pants, long sleeved shirts, a sweater, and a spring/fall jacket. My spring/fall jacket, which I find useful for the mountains, has a built-in hood, comes down to mid-thigh, and has a waterproof outer layer and a fleece lining. A pair of gloves would not go amiss, just in case.

A pair of sunglasses and a sunhat would be useful too. It's nice to have a day pack so that you can carry a picnic lunch and have somewhere to store the layers that you peel off as you warm up while you're hiking.

All restaurants in the mountains are casual at lunchtime. Moderately priced restaurants are casual at dinnertime too, while upscale restaurants are smart casual at dinnertime.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Postscript. Marlena777, in the other thread to which I referred you, I suggested that kwick58 get to the Johnston Canyon and Moraine Lake parking lots early. That was because she was planning to go in August, when things would be busier. If you go in the middle of June, you won't need to worry about that.

In the middle of June you'll need to tailor your hikes according to conditions as you find them, as bob_brown indicated.

Oh yes, unless otherwise noted, tap water in the hotels and towns is fine for drinking. Take some of it with you when you go hiking. Don't drink water from mountain streams and lakes unless you boil it or treat it.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Bob & Judy. Does anyone recommend any B&B's?
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:04 PM

You were asking about places to stay in the Yoho - Kooteney parks area of BC.

I can say a few words based on my own personal experiences. In seasons past, I have gone to Field and rented one of the short term apartments for a few nights.

These accommodations are the self catering type. I think the term "bed and kitchen" would be a good description.

I have found that they satisfied my needs quite nicely.

Spiral Tunnels Guesthouse is where I have stayed the last 3 summers and the facilities there struck me as being very comfortable. (Which is why I have gone back.)

I am hoping that a complete list of accommodations in Field is available from Park Headquarters. In the past, I have seen a list of "Parks Approved Accommodations," but the list I have is now 5 years old.

There is also a somewhat old listing still on the web that I found using Google.

I don't think the list is complete as of today, but it will give you some ideas. I found this listing at http://www.burgess-shale.bc.ca/field/accommodations.htm

As I said earlier, higher trails may be icy in patches, but the main roads will be clear and you will be able to view such wonders as Takkakaw Falls, Lake Louise, and others.

I think you will have a good trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:31 PM

I fear that the address I gave above is out of date. I must have found a version stored in my cache from years past.
So I don't think you will find anything.
I can tell you what is on it and perhaps some of the data is current in terms of phone numbers and names.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Hi Marlena777,

I own the Spiral Tunnels Guesthouse that Bob refers to (Thank-you Bob - You are a true ambassador for our wonderful Yoho!)Bob is absolutely correct with his website address for Yoho accommodations. Field/Yoho will embrace you with a visual and cultural experience rivaled by none.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:28 PM

At Spiral Tunnels, I stretched out on that super king bed and snoozed away after a good day of hiking and sightseeing.

And the bathroom has a separate shower and tub. No way it is crowded!!

And just over the ridge is Takkakaw Falls. What a sight.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I will look up the Spiral Tunnel Guesthouse. I can't wait to visit in June!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 08:27 AM

http://www.bbcanada.com/8498.html

Visit the above site for a few pictures of Spiral Tunnels Guesthouse.

It is named that because of the famous Spiral Tunnels built by the railroad to help trains traverse Kicking Horse Pass.
It has quite a history!

If you click on the picture of the fireplace, the bed room is through the door you see. The room has a king bed that is very comfortable -- I know because I have slept on it more than once.

My most practical suggestion is to buy your groceries in Canmore, Banff or Golden before you get there because Field has limited shopping.

The Truffle Pig eatery is usually very popular, which is a good sign it must be doing something right! It is within a short distance of the door to your suite at Spiral Tunnels - like less than 4 minutes unless you stop to stare at the mountains.

But two things are for certain:
Spiral Tunnels guesthouse is easy to find with convenient parking, and it is close to Emerald Lake, Lake Louise, Takkakaw Falls, Lake O'Hara trail head, and the start of the fabulous Iceline Trail.

It is also just off of the Trans Canada Highway and about 12 miles from the start of the Icefields Parkway. I have driven from Field north along the Icefields Parkway as far as the Icefields Center and back in one day quite easily.

Peyto Lake, Bow Lake, and other scenic attractions are within easy range.

And don't forget Kootenay Park. There are four contiguous parks in the area:
Jasper, Banff, Yoho, and Kootenay.

All have something to offer. A great day trip is to drive to Golden, then turn south to the entrance to Kootenay near Radium Hot Springs. Then, turn northeast and drive the length of Kootnenay to rejoin the Trans Canada south of Lake Louise at Castle Junction.
As you drop down on the highway into the Bow River Valley, there is an incredible view of Castle Mountain in front of you.
If you are returning mid to late afternoon, there is a good chance the sun will be at just the right angle for a fabulous photo opportunity.

From there you can return to Field.

In Kootenay, the walk to the Stanley Glacier Basin is one of the more scenic hikes in an area loaded with scenic hikes, and the trail is not nearly as crowded as other trails in the area. (Not much ice remains, however, all of the ice fields are retreating.)

I know I sound like a salesman for Field, but in reality I live over 2,000 miles from there. I go back for one reason: I love those mountains and I have found a great place to stay overnight. What more could I want?

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Just for the record, my sources in Field BC tell me that snow fall in the Rockies has been light this year. Low snow levels in the Lake Louise area. Instead, more rain than usual.

I am not sure what that means for June trail conditions, but the lighter the snow, the quicker the trails should dry out.

But, that does not mean that there will not be a record snow fall in early April!

I know one year there was a late, prolonged heavy snow fall that kept some trails closed until the first week of July.

They were too dangerous without crampons and an ice ax.
One of the trails was one I wanted to take! Drat.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 02:45 AM

Hello <arlena and happy husband!
What a broad palette of ideas, the only one I do not agree is that Revelstoke is not worth a visit. The Arrow Lake Valley is on 1450 ft., so in June it's nice. The higher elevations have still snow, and the Okanagan Valley with all its vineyards and the dryest desert on the continent are a few hours away! Check us out at http://www.wildernessinn.ca and read the guest comments... as well as Frommer's comment on Revelstoke (he compares with Jasper and Banff). See you in June (some weeks are already heavely booked).
Bon voyage!
René J. Hueppi, Hon.D.phil.