Canadian Insurance ID

Sep 29th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3
Canadian Insurance ID


I am a US Citizen planning on visiting Toronto by automobile from Virginia this weekend.

I called my insurance company to see if my policy extends to Canada - and it does - but the agent told me that I would need a Canadian Insurance ID Card for my trip, but that it wouldn't be able to be sent out to me in time.

Is this going to affect my ability to cross the border? I don't recall this ever being a problem before.

Thanks much in advance.

Best, Lewis
lewisr is offline  
Sep 29th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 298
Never heard of such an animal.

I worked in Detroit but stayed in Windsor for a couple of months.
Many people living in Detroit drive
to Windsor and back each day to attend the casino and dine at Windsor's great selection of Italian restaurants.

You will not be asked for anything regarding the car or insurance etc. You will be asked for identification and I would advise bringing your passport so you can get back into the states without hassle.

Check out the following web site:

The coast is clear for your trip.

Toronto has much to offer. Enjoy.

HogtownJim is offline  
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,675
The document your agent mentioned is a "Canadian Non-Resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card". They are not going to care about this at the border; if you are stopped you for a traffic violation or if you are involved in an accident, the police officer may care very much that you do not have proof of insurance.
ron is offline  
Sep 29th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 412
Ask your insurance agent to mail the yellow "canada card" to you anyway (so there's a copy at home that someone who's picking up your mail will have--in case you need it!)
Also, have them fax you a copy of the card. Its not the real thing, but in case you're stopped (not at the border, but by a police officer) you have something to show them. Better than nothing, right?
AlexA is offline  
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,842
Unless you live a long way from your insurance agent why can't you just stop by his/her office and pick one up? I did this morning for a Canadian trip next month and it took all of two minutes.

BTW, my agent also informed me that they cover damages to rental cars as well as liability but they do not cover rental car loss of use charges. I was not aware of that before and am going to check with my credit card company to see if they do. If the car is in the shop for weeks to repair damages, the loss of use could wind up costing hundreds or thousands of dollars.
dwooddon is offline  
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3
It's GEICO... save 15% or more but deal exclusively with an 800#.... :-\
lewisr is offline  
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 177
Have them fax it or fed ex
Sherri1 is offline  
Sep 29th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3
They said it had a raised seal so no-go on the fax... as for Fedex... they just outright refused that one.

Hopefully my proof-of-insurance "binder" will do....
lewisr is offline  
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 65
Only if you're in an accident will the police require its presentation. I've been stopped twice while traveling in Canada: in Ontario at a sobriety checkpoint, and in Nova Scotia when my wife was pulled over by the RCMP for speeding. Neither time were we asked for the Canadian proof of insurance card even though we were driving with US plates.
stringer is offline  
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,019
There is a card, colored yellow, that most insurance agents provide their customers. I get mine directly from the agent who sold me my policy.
The card fits in your billfoldd or passport case very easily and it contains the necessary insurance information.

I do not know if it is a function of the company or the agent. But my agent is good and my insurance company (Central Companies (of Ohio)) has always been reliable.

I do know that Central in the southeast gives good claims service.
bob_brown is offline  
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 27
Lewis, I wouldn't worry about it as long as your insurance company verified that you are covered in Canada. My wife and I just got back from a vacation in eastern Canada, where I actually got a speeding ticket by the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police). He never asked me for any kind of insurance card and they certainly didn't at the border. They only wanted to see our birth cert., passport or anything. They just ask you if you have any firearms, alcohol, or tobacco products.

Just a word of wisdom here.....if you have never been to Canada before, do yourself a favor and obey the speed laws. They seem extremely and unnecessarily SLOW in most cases, but the Canadians don't play around with their fines for traffic violations!
Pay special attention to your speedometer, as it will be reading in MPH and the speed limits are posted in kph.
The officer (with whom I didn't care to enter into a debate over my speed) said I was going 130 kph in a 110 kph zone. The fine was $215 Canadian dollars (roughly $170 US).

Be careful and enjoy your trip.
Brandon77 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:45 PM.