Canada East Coast

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada East Coast

My family would like to visit New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island in Aug/Sep. What would be the best itinery? Or Where should I start first? To see all the places of interest, how many days do we need? Any recommendations for hotels, B&B?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Cica: I've a feeling you'll receive quite a few responses to your inquiry. To help the responders, you might add a bit about your family (ages, likes, dislikes), mode(s) of transportation, where starting from, and timeframe. This last is especially true if you intend taking the ferry from NS to NFLD, given the time and distances involved. The ferry is overnight, and NFLD is very big and driving distances are long.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:17 AM

This is a huge amount of territory!

A rough estimate would be to allow 1 week per province. I know that we barely managed NS in 1 week.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:26 AM

Cica, if you are talking about a 2 week vacation, it really isn't feasible to see all of these provinces. In a pinch , you could visit NOva Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI in two weeks, but adding Newfoundland would be way too much. We went to Newfoundland for 2 weeks and didn't see all we wanted to see.If you are talking about a month's vacation, perhaps you could fit it in.
I understand that you have to book the ferry to Newfoundland quite far in advance in the summer.
Good luck.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. We have a two and a half year old. My husband and I like sightseeing & hiking. Hmm! It sounds like we have to break up the trip. Is it worth it to go with a tour group?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 02:56 AM

I would do it on my own.

If you like sightseeing and hiking, I would suggest Cape Breton Island. Also Cape Chegnecto along the Glooscap Trail. Order a Doers and Dreamers guide to help you decide what you would prefer to do. 1-800-565-0000

PEI beaches are lovely. If you like to bike, there are great biking trails.

Where are you coming from and are you driving to the Maritime Provinces?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 09:48 PM

Just going to Newfoundland would also be a great trip. The hiking in Grose Mourne park is outstanding and the whole area is beautiful.
ANd on the east coast of Newfoundland, there is an excellent East Coast Trail, and wonderful hiking trail south of St.John's.
I really think you'd be better off without a tour. There really is no need to join a tour. Driving is easy, and you could go at your own pace.
Sending for the tourists guides for the differnt provinces might help you decide. Also, read the recent trip report written my sluggo on this board. They really enjoyed Newfoundland and offer lots of ideas.

Good luck.