Search

Camping??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camping??

Planning a driving trip from California to Calgary/Banff/Jasper in early July...are there any nice campsites in any of these areas that people can recommend. Any especially good ones near the national parks?? Looking for quiet small campsites with beautiful scenery. Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:50 AM

We camped at the Bow Valley Provincial Park between Calgary and Banff and at another Provincial park east of Saskatchewan Crossing, as well as the National Park campground (Wapiti?) just outside the town of Jasper. We found them all to be very nice and teh people were quiet and polite. Having camped lots of places in the US and Canada, we look forward to camping in Canada as the campgrounds are usually spacious and quiet with friendly people.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Parks Canada runs many campgrounds in the Rocky Mountain national parks (Banff, Yoho, Kootenay & Jasper), although there are very few campgrounds with serviced sites (power & water hookups) and only a limited number of these in the campgrounds that do have them - you can find out more information at www.parkscanada.ca - find the park you are interested in, then go to the "visitor information" page, then "where to stay" page. They do have a reservation system for campsites.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM

I can comment on a few campgrounds.
The one in Yoho located near Takkakaw Falls is a tent place, and is a "walk-in." I have camped in the past with a tent, and this area would be fine. The sites are flat, drain well, and the area is near the Yoho River and the falls.

Another campground that I have been in, although I did not stay overnight, is Waterfowl Lake. It does not fill as quickly as do Johnston Canyon and Lake Louise. Although Lake Louise has a huge campground, demand is also very high.

Rampart Creek looked ok to me, but I have actually inspected it closely.

In Kootenay National Park, McLeod Meadows is a nice spot. It is well shaded, near the fast-moving Kootenay River, and a trail or two departs from near there.

The area is flat and seems to have nice facilities.

I have not camped there, but I have walked through it two or three times and often thought that had I been camping this would be a good place.

Marble Canyon is another possibility, but it tends to be more crowded in season because it is nearer to the Trans Canada than the others and it is close to several trailheads.

In general the grounds in the Canadian national parks are superior to their American counterparts.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who shared some good campsites. I can now start making plans !!
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM

OOPS Rampart Creek looked ok to me, but I have NOT inspected it carefully.

Waterfowl, Takkakaw Falls, and McLeod Meadows I have seen up close and personal more than once.

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM

We also stayed at a campground in Yoho National Park, Monarch Campground. While the campground was nice and the people friendly, the location left something to be desired as it was close to the Trans-Canada highway and the railroad, bounded by mountains so the traffic noise was amplified by echoing off the mountains. We arrived in the later afternoon and the other campground (Kicking Horse?) was full. It's a bit farther off the road and quieter.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM

One of the most beautiful places in the rockies is Lake Ohara. You must hike or take a bus to the campground there as no cars are allowed. I have not stayed at the campground but have stayed at the Elizabeth Parker Hut maintained by the Alpine Club which is awesome.
I have heard great things about camping as the scenery is superb.