Reload this Page >

Campbell River area?

Search

Campbell River area?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Em

Campbell River area?

Would this be a good place for several days after visiting Victoria and Tofino?<BR>Any suggestions for places to stay or restaurants, and activities for non-fishing folk?<BR>How long should we allow to travel back from there to SeaTac airport? <BR>Thank you in advance for your wonderful help!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Carl Z

No!<BR>Campbell River is a down at the heels milltown with very little to offer the visitor.<BR>It used to call itself the Salmon Fishing Capital of the World but has since lost that title to Port Alberni.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:35 AM
deej

there are some beautiful places around the campbell river area to visit. quadra island (a 10-minute ferry ride from the town) is a bit of an artists' retreat and has some great walks if you're into that sort of thing. strathcona park is also quite close by. but coming from tofino, u might find it a bit of a letdown.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:35 AM
April

I would stay in Courtenay/Comox over Campbell River if I wanted to visit places like Quadra and Hornby Islands. But maybe you'd really be better off around Qualicum Beach or Parksville if you must add a third place. This would put you only a couple of hours' drive from Victoria. You don't mention how you plan to get to Seatac or what time of year this would be.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Em

Thanks for your suggestions. We'll have to mull over the idea of going to see Quadra/Hornby - we don't know anything about them.<BR>Re: where/when: We're coming mid to late July and will have a rental car.<BR>Doesn't anyone have positive comments on Campbell River or Strathcona?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Robyn

My Dad who's a science teacher talkes his students to Strathcona for week-long camping trips. They always have fun - canoeing, rock climbing, hiking, etc. I haven't been there so I can't comment on personal experience, but you'd probably enjoy it.<BR><BR>I have been to Hornby Island though after spending several days in Tofino. It's a different atmosphere - the east coast of Vancouver Island isn't majestic the same way the west coast is, but Hornby Island had these wonderful white sandy beaches with warm water... and the little art students and markets were fun exploring. <BR><BR>I don't know much about Campbell River other than it's a destination if you want to fish. I had several friends there who'd go for a big elaborate fishing trip, but otherwise, I'm not sure it's much of a destination.<BR><BR>Perhaps add one of the Gulf Islands into your trip such as Saltspring.<BR><BR>Try looking at the "regions and towns" section of www.vancouverisland.com - it'll give you a lot of info.<BR><BR>You can always take the ferry over to the mainland and explore Vancouver and the surroundings.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Robyn

Oops! I meant to write "art studios", not art students.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:46 PM
April

I would skip Campbell River. As for how long to allow to get back to Seatac, it would depend on whether you are flying, taking the Clipper to Seattle or driving the rental car down.