Reload this Page >

Calgary/Banff/Vancouver in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Patricia

Hi !! We are a brazilian couple planning to visit Calgary/Banff and Vancouver in April. We know it will be cold so what can we really see/do in April ? We would like to visit Lake Louise as well. The idea is to rent a car in Calgary and go to Vancouver (something like that). Does it still snow in April ? What's the everage temperature ? Thanks for your help.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Laura

Hi Patricia,<BR>I was born and raised in Calgary and now live in Vancouver. It will probably be cold with a possibility of snow in Calgary so some sightseeing would work (eg. Canada Olympic Park, the Calgary Zoo, etc). Banff is about one and a half hours away. The skiing will be nice (not too cold) - my favourite time of year in the Rockies. Banff is a lovely little town. The drive to Vancouver from Banff is about eleven hours. The scenery is wonderful and you might see a bear, mountain goats, etc. (we even saw a mouse once). When you get to Vancouver the weather will be warmer. As of today the daffodills are in bloom and the tulips are sprouting (it's about +8C). Hopefully it won't be raining in April (sometimes it is nice and warm and sunny). There is alot to see and do in Vancouver (walk the seawall, see Stanley Park, shop Robson Street, visit Granville Island, Grouse Mountain etc.) If you aren't sick of the snow head up to Whistler. It is about one and half hours north of Vancouver and the scenery on the Sea to Sky highway if spectacular. Whistler is a world class resort and lovely any time of year. You also might consider taking the ferry over to Vancouver Island and visiting Victoria. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Patricia

Thank you Laura ! Would it be nice to travel by train from Calgary to Vancouver or the other way round ? I guess it is a two day tour, stopping at some city to sleep...

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:32 PM
traveller

Given the weather we have had this year in Southern Alberta, you may find very warm temps in Banff/Calgary.<BR><BR>We have only had a week or two of sub zero temps this year. And then only in March!<BR><BR>I expect April to be spring weather, cool to you as you live in South America but still very warm for this climate zone. You have probably picked a great year to travel here.<BR><BR>Have fun and good luck.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:46 AM
xxx

i believe you are speaking of the rockey mountaineer train which stops in kamloops. i have heard that it is a great trip. if you are returning to calgary then taking the train one way may be a good idea. but, i would recommend driving one way too. allows you a lot more freedom to stop. <BR>compared to brazil, yes it will be cool but we can get some pretty nice days in april.<BR>if you drive both ways, you may want to consider driving through banff the one way and then returning through jasper.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:47 PM
glenda

Definitely recommend that you drive this route yourself. It is amazing and very beautiful. Lake Louise is on the route so very easy to visit for a few hours on the way. We did it in two days and stayed in Kamloops but we started in Tofino, Vancouver Island and were able to go back to Banff later as we were then staying in Calgary. Enjoy!