calgary airport hotel question

Jun 27th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

calgary airport hotel question

Bummer! I've just learned that our flights have been changed, putting us way late in Calgary and preventing us from going on to the Rimrock for our first night. So I'm looking for a hotel near the airport that will be pleasant and quiet and give us easy access to Banff the next day. (Labor Day-- I hope traffic going west won't be awful.)
Does anyone know anything abt Country Inns and Suites or the Hilton Garden Inn? Which might have a pleasant restaurant attached or close? Which would be most restful? Thanks!!
Jun 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM

I have used the Greenwood Inn just off of the Barlow Trail for years.

The king bed rooms are very spacious.
The hotel is close to McKnight Boulevard which leads to a route out of the city without having to go downtown.

You may need a good city map to follow it, but the path is direct. Go west on McKnight until it becomes John Laurie blvd. Stay on John Laurie until it intersects with Stoney Trail.

Then, turn south and follow Stoney Trai until it intersects with Canada 1 on the west side of Calgary.

Turn west on Canada 1 and you are on your way to Banff.

The Greenwod is located just east of the Barlow Trail at 32nd Avenue. The Barlow Trail is the main road south from the airport. You can drive it with very little opposition in just a few minutes. The hotel has large free parking lot and a decent restaurant.

I have always found the front desk staff to be attentive. The hotel also has a swimming pool, if you are interested.

Jun 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM

I agree with Bob, the Greenwood is a really nice hotel that is moderately priced (for Calgary at this time of year so it might seem expensive to you) and has nice rooms and a great lounge and restaurant.

Bob has provided excellent directions to the Trans Canada. The Trans Canada can be busy though and slow.
Jun 27th, 2006, 03:47 PM

>>>>>>The Trans Canada can be busy though and slow.<<<<<<

To put that into context, I think catsmom317 was referring to the TransCanada Highway when it passes through Calgary, becomes a regular city street with lots of traffic lights, and goes by the dual name of 16th Avenue North. It's even slower than usual at the moment, because 16th Avenue is being widened, and there are construction activities taking place.

However, once the TransCanada Highway emerges from the other end of Calgary, beyond the city limits, it is not slow. At least I have never experienced it being slow, even at the height of the summer tourist season. It is a four-lane divided highway, and I always find that traffic moves at a good pace.

Traffic going west will not be bad on Labour Day. During the afternoon of Labour Day there will be Calgary families returning home from a long weekend in the mountains, but they'll be travelling eastwards.
Jun 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Rates at Greenwood are higher than at Hilton Garden Inn for the 2 separate nights I need airport reservations. I'd pay the extra difference if I believed that Greenwood would be more quiet/restful. But: Looking at the 2 properties, and in fact speaking with the Greenwood reservations person, it seems to me that Greenwood is more likely than Garden Inn to have a "function"-- which might mean more "action."
In short: any final thoughts on which might be more quiet?

Thanks again for all your helpful in-put. I've been looking forward to a Canadian Rockies trip forever-- and it's only a few months away now! (unless we have a hurricane where I live and we're obliged to cancel
Jun 28th, 2006, 12:50 AM

I have been at the Greenwood during the Stampede, with horse and cow people all over the place. There have been weddings, and the like going on as well.

I don't think the Greenwood has a monopoly on any action. And I never had a problem.

The banquet and conference facilities are on the first floor, mostly.

A deluxe queen room with two queen beds is $119 C. I don't think you will find a better room. I usually get the king sized bed accommodation. Just the room not the suite.

Those rooms have a couch, a desk, and plenty of space.

Of course tax is added, but you can get a refund on the VAT.
Jun 28th, 2006, 12:56 AM

PS that route I described for betting out of Calgary puts you well to the west of downtown. There is one wrinkle to it that shortens the distance to the Trans Canada a bit, but you might need a city map to find it.

I have driven all over Calgary with the AAA/CAA street map and never had a problem finding my way around the windings and turnings.

I find Calgary to be a neat city to visit. And Calgarians are often very hospitable people and very well schooled.

In the space of a few days last year I met several engineers and one young man who was/is a petroleum geologist with a Ph. D. from Stanford. His wife was trained as a professional ballerina and had been with the Calgary Ballet before the children took precedence. Talk about a person who moved powerfully and gracefully in everything she did!