Buying property in Montreal

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying property in Montreal

Hello,
My friend is hoping to purchase a two-bedroom condo/loft/apt. in Montreal. We have started research online and it appears that she can probably find something new for under $200k (she plans to go there next month to investigate more). Her daughter will be attending McGill and this will serve as a pad for her when she visits as well as an investment. Where should she consider besides Old Montreal (her favourite)? What are the hippest neighbourhoods and or the up and coming ones? Thanks so much in advance.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:43 PM

I'd look at the highrises between the foot of the mountain (Avenue des Pines) and north of Sherbrooke between McGill U and Atwater. Very walkable to McGill and downtown.

Another area with outdoor cafes etc is on Queen Mary up to the Decare expressway and the Snowden metro stop.

There was also an office building on St. Catherines street near Crescent St (nightlife area) which was being converted to Condo so perhaps more of this is happening in the downtown area.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Hello! I would definitely investigate the Plateau area. If not for the exceptional living conditions, then for the sound investment it is. Everything is close by (metro Mont-Royal, Sherbrooke or even Laurier), very safe environment, and very very easy to resell!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Just happen to be a realtor and would love to help. Your Idea is excellent many people are doing this and many have made a fortune doing it, but the market is sliding slowly backwards so expect in one year only to cover your costs but 2-3 you will reap a benefit. Simply because demand has finally been met for condos.
Your price point seems a bit tight for old Montreal, especially if you want something hip, but there is an area near Atwater market which would still be close to school and fun and you could something very funky and hip for this price point.

I love this forum so I dont want to abuse it for more info email at [email protected]
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback, I will certainly email Chris in the near future.