Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Columbia Road Trip in August 2006

May 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I just booked flights and AMTRAK for a road trip in British Columbia the first two weeks in August. My plan is to drive from Vancouver up to Hyder, Alaska and back during a ten day period. I'll be doing my research on this board and other places but, if anyone has any suggestions about places to go or things to do along the route from Vancouver to Prince George to Hyder, I'd be glad to have them.
May 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Also, does anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about lodging choices in Hyder, AK or Stewart, BC?
May 21st, 2006, 04:36 AM

A side trip to Wells Gray Provincial park at Clearwater is not far out of the way and quite interesting. Helmken falls is a highlight. We also took the boat trip up Clearwater Lake and Azure Lake. Billed as about 4 hours, it took closer to 5 on the day we went. The boat captain was friendly and knowledgeable of the area and quite a treat to visit with and the scenery was stunning. A side trip on the way in to Spahats Falls Provincial Park was nice too.
Jul 25th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaving a week from today. Any other suggestions?
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:03 PM

If the Nisga'a Highway has been paved, a side trip to the NISGA'A MEMORIAL LAVA BED PROVINCIAL PARK might be a fun outing. This memorial park commerates the devastation of two Nisga'a villages in the Nass river valley about 250 years ago. The road is just outside of Terrace, BC.