Road trip suggestions for upstate NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 9 yr. old decided she wants to see Niagara Falls. I wanted to make a road trip out of it. We are in Maryland and I thought of driving to Toronto. 7 hours straight through. Spending 2 days there. Doing the falls for 2 days. Driving to Cooperstown for the hall of fame and them driving back home. I wanted to expand this into a two week trip and need some suggestions of things to see/do on the way.

Everything is very easy to change. The only thing I HAVE to do is Niagara Falls for my daughter.

Oh there are 4 of us, two adults, a 15 yo girl and a 9 yo girl.
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:52 AM

A couple things you might consider..

Gananoque (Canada side of the border, east of Toronto) and a St Lawrence River 1000 islands boat trip. One of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. There may also be boat trips from the US side.

The fingerlakes reqion in upstate NY is also very nice

And do visit Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. You may also need your passports for this trip.
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks hpeabody. We all do have passports.
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM

You could break up your long drive and spend some time in the Finger Lake region, just west of Syracuse. Hang out on a lake beach or visit Roseland Water Park. (Or break your trip in Corning, which has a cool glass museum. )

About an hour north of Toronto there are nice lakes and cabins for rent, and lodge-style hotels. I've never been but several friends go there every year and say its wonderful. You could spend a whole week on the lake ...

Other fun things near Cooperstown include: Herkimer, where you can look for Herkimer Diamonds and Howe's Cavern (and another smaller cave nearby).

You could take an Erie Canal boat cruise for a few days.

Another possiblity would be to head west towards Pittsburgh, which has magnificant views, a great amuesement park (Kennywood park), lots of festivals in the summer, and historical sites nearby like Fort Necessity. You could take a paddleboat cruise.
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM

The thing that immediately comes to my mind is a suggestion for a lunch stop. It's likely that you'll pass by Herkimer, NY on your way from Niagara Falls to Cooperstown (unless you turn off at Utica). If you're there around lunchtime, consider stopping at the Water Front Grille. It's just off the Thruway. In fact, we found it the first time because you can see it from the road.

We just returned from a trip out for our daughter's graduation in Amherst, MA. (We live in the Chicago suburbs.) We discovered Water Front Grille on our way out to move her into her dorm her first year. And we've made a point of stopping there on every trip since. In fact, we stopped coming and going this time!

It's a charming little place right on the Mohawk River. And the lunch specials are really good. When we stopped this past Tuesday, I had the soup and half sandwich special. That day it was butternut squash soup and a ham and cheese sandwich (for $6.95). When we stopped going out it was Manhattan clam chowder and a roast beef sandwich. They always have a wrap of the day, a sandwich special and a special burger. Our kids love their clam roll.

Of course, we always happened to be driving through that area right at lunch time. But it's one of the many things I'll miss about making the drive to Amherst! You're in for a treat as NY is such a pretty state to drive through. Enjoy the trip!
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:39 AM

When you are in Niagara, make sure to spend an afternoon in Niagara on the Lake. It is a small town on Lake Ontario about 20 minutes outside of Niagara Falls. It is so quaint with restaurants and shops. This is also where the jet boat departs from. We did it last August with a 14 & 12 year old and it was an amazing experience! They take you up the river in white water rapids. It is very exciting but you will get completely soaked so bring a change of clothes. Enjoy
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM

We did Niagara Falls and Toronto with our then 11 yo DD last year. Don't miss Cave of the Winds on the NY side - you will get very wet, but it was awesome, especially if it is a hot day. The restaurant inside the park on the NY side was surprisingly good! Your girls will enjoy the Basia Shoe Museum in Toronto. Since we only had one day in Toronto, we missed the CN tower because the lines were so long. You can get a multi-attraction pass if you think that you will do the attractions that are included in the pass.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Do try to get to the Finger Lakes region. Skaneateles (sp?) is probably the cutest and busiest of the local towns.

New York State is one of our most beautiful states in that almost every inch of it is gorgeous, and you can find gorges and national and state parks (Letchworth) and resorts everywhere. You almost cannot go wrong.
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks there are some really good ideas here. I will have to do more research and come back with more specific questions.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

OK, I'm back with more precise info on our current (very tentative itinerary)and asking for more suggestions.

My kids did not want to do Toronto, so we are going to Niagara Falls for 2 nights. That will give us 2.5 days to see the attractions. We will do Maid of the mist and cave of the winds. The kids want to do Marineland and the little one wants butterflies.

We will then go to Rochester (look at the University-I have a rising Junior in HS) and do a a day at the Genesee (sp?) village. We are hoping to take in an old time baseball game.

Then on to the baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown (and look at RPI-they are having an open house for prospective students)

Finally, we drive to NYC, stay with friends and see 2 Broadway shows (whatever is on sale) before heading back home.

Is there anything else I missed that is a must-see?

I wanted to do a boat trip on the Erie canal emphasizing it's historical significance. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM

When we went to Niagara Falls/Buffalo/Toronto with my then-10 year old a few years ago, we stopped overnight at Corning and went to the Corning Glass Museum. There are hands-on workshops everyone can take part in - loved it.

We went to Cooperstown last year on a school trip. Besides the Baseball Hall of Fame, there's a Farmers' Museum in town too.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 05:57 AM

do youself a favor and stay on the Canadian sife of the falls
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM

I live in Rochester. If you're going to look at colleges for your junior, I would check out the University of Buffalo while you're visiting Niagara Falls. It's a large campus and a good school. While in Rochester you should look at the University of Rochester and also Rochester Institute of Technology - both excellent schools.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM

We drove up to Fort Niagra after the falls and your kids would probably enjoy that. We then detoured down to Lockport (not far) to take the Erie Canal ride (there is a website) but it started really raining and we decided not to wait for the next boat. Do remember the ride is two hours duration.

Another thing at Niagra/Buffalo if your kids like hot dogs, you have to find a Ted's Hot Dogs. They've been featured on PBS and Travel Channel shows and are really good.

We drove along the Seaway Trail finding lighthouses. There are several along that route including one at Rochester.

Western New York was beautiful last fall driving from Erie PA to Niagra Falls and then across and down to Syracus. We thoroughly enjoyed this road trip and Niagra Falls takes your breath away--just awesome! Have a great trip.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM

For erie Canal history you might want to consider the Erie Canal Village in Rome New York which is NW of Cooperstown. It's a small and not at all glitzy/polished living history museum but we thought it was interesting when we visited several years ago. They offer a packet boat tour (we did not take this)
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your ideas. I will check them out. I am also giving this thread a self serving bump.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Do you have a specific interest in a school in Rochester? In the Buffalo area you could see Univ. at Buffalo, Canisus College and Niagara University, all good schools. You mentioned baseball, there is a minor league team in Buffalo, the Bisons. You don't say when your trip is, but Wicked is playing at Shea's Buffalo theatre for about 4 weeks at the end of June and beginning of July.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

We are going the second week in July, and my girls would LOVE to see Wicked. I do not have any specific college interest (well, I do, but my daughter doesn't) and we are just going to take a look around the campuses to see if anything appeals. She has a full year before she has to start applying.
As far as the Bisons game, my husband is interested in going as is my younger daughter, but my older daughter and I are very lukewarm on the idea.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Wicked runs through July 13. They are still advertising it so there must still be seats left. You'll find better seats on craigslist or similiar sites. The website is www.sheas.org. Post again if you decide to go and need restaurant or other Buffalo suggestions.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any Niagara Falls restaurant recommendations? I am not interested in anything particularly touristy and I dislike most chain places. Something local and inexpensive (comparatively) would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -